People knocking loudly on doors

i had a friend due over to visit once when i lived somewhere other than sheffield. it was the kind of friendship where our group of friends kind of just put up with him as he was the selfish type.

i knew he was coming and i heard the loud tapping at the door. however i was in the bathroom, so he'd have to wait a minute! anyway, tapping became thumping and then he was shouting my name through the letter box! all because i hadnt opened the door within 30 seconds of him knocking!

well, i just left him standing there and got on with the rest of my day in my house. i found it such a rude thing to do, and i told him so the next time i saw him.

people who behave like that at my door get left on the doorstep, im afraid. (tbh, if im not expecting anybody i dont answer the door full stop).

i had a friend due over to visit once when i lived somewhere other than sheffield. it was the kind of friendship where our group of friends kind of just put up with him as he was the selfish type.

i knew he was coming and i heard the loud tapping at the door. however i was in the bathroom, so he'd have to wait a minute! anyway, tapping became thumping and then he was shouting my name through the letter box! all because i hadnt opened the door within 30 seconds of him knocking!

well, i just left him standing there and got on with the rest of my day in my house. i found it such a rude thing to do, and i told him so the next time i saw him.

people who behave like that at my door get left on the doorstep, im afraid. (tbh, if im not expecting anybody i dont answer the door full stop).

Same here and I don't answer the phone either unless I'm expecting a phone call :hihi:

TV Licensing enforcers really hammer on my doors. Every time they come I almost expect them to shout "Open up! We're the Sweeney!"

Of course I never open my door to these vermin, although they do try the door handle and even look through windows and hammer on them as well. They, and the BBC, think that they are as important as policemen - hence the very loud, authoritative knocks.

In reality they are as important as Enclopedia salesmen. But enclopedia's are useful...

We we're discussing this earlier, sort of...

People who know how to use a handle and those who don't. It's used for both opening and closing. So many people (not mentioning) just slam doors, not in anger, just as a matter of fact.

QI covered something else like this on a repeat the other day.

If someone walked in and started banging on the table shouting, speak to me now, then banging again with shouting, until they were answered, we'd think it rude. But that's exactly what a phone does!

is it just me or does anyone else hate it when someone bangs loudly on your door i dont mean the tap tap i mean the policemans knock or we will break your door down . grrrrrrrrrr

Knocking loudly is fine with me if the person is not too persistent with it. I mean, knock few times and wait those 30 secs, then knock again.

If someone keeps on knocking for the whole time, i regret i don't have a gun.

a good, hard knock is fine! its persistant, impatient thumping that gets my goat!

i knock loudly, preferrably with a door knocker tapped three times then wait patiently. if after a minute there is no response, i do it again. if still no response then i go away! there's an etiquette to this you know!!

(my mother is deaf as a post and takes forever to get to the door, so i have learnt to wait else i will hear the earbashing before the door is even open...)

Archived