Distance Selling Regulations Help Required!

I have bought a hat online from Debenhams and I am wanting to return it but

I have just noticed that hats are excluded from their returns policy due to hygiene reasons!

Can I cancel the contract under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations instead and therefore still be able to return it?

Why the exclamation mark, are you surprised?

You may have worn the hat.....you may have head lice for all the store knows.

When the store receives the hat they will probably dump it (well I hope they would).

Is it unreasonable for them to refuse a return of say, ear rings.....for hygiene reasons?

The law in this case if goes in your favour is an ass and the only thing the store should do is: not sell hats on line.

Edit: I suppose that they could argue that by placing an order for a non returnable item, as stated in their conditions of sale, you have accepted those conditions, which for reasons of hygiene are not unfair.

But I'm no lawyer

Yes I am suprised. I have never heard of a store excluding hats for hygiene reasons before.

It still has the tags on. Do you not try clothes on then before deciding whether to keep them?

Is it unreasonable for them to refuse a return of say, ear rings.....for hygiene reasons?

No it isn't unreasonable. However I think there is a massive difference between something you put through skin in your ears and a hat which is no different from trying on any other item of clothing.

When the store receives the hat they will probably dump it (well I hope they would).

The law in this case if goes in your favour is an ass and the only thing the store should do is: not sell hats on line

How do you put a jumper or a tshirt on? I put them on over my head! Just as much chance of getting head lice or whatever on them.

The store's reasons for excluding hats is nothing to do with hygiene. It's because hats are often 'one wear' items for special occasions such as weddings, and therefore more likely to be returned that other items of clothing. The hygiene business is just an excuse.

How do you put a jumper or a tshirt on? I put them on over my head! Just as much chance of getting head lice or whatever on them.

Thank you - some sense at last.

The store's reasons for excluding hats is nothing to do with hygiene. It's because hats are often 'one wear' items for special occasions such as weddings, and therefore more likely to be returned that other items of clothing. The hygiene business is just an excuse.

That is very interesting. Maybe that is why they have started putting huge price tags right in the centre on the top!

Archived