Goodbye Sheffield nightlife.

clubfut

Now that Mr Baxendale along with other local night club entrepreneurs, have left or are

leaving this once happening city, here's the city's theme tune!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI

brilliant tune and possibly a good description of new years eve in sheffield as we walked ,nothing like even 3 yrs ago,no buzz west st was the only place where people were to be seen so were down to a one st city ,then of course our city council will strangle them with inflated bills thinking everyone has to pay a premium to be there,there used to be 2000 people in baxendales club ,out of those yes a small percentage didn't deserve to be let loose in public but where has the rest gone ,thats what helps kill cities ,

Question... Who initially suggested the membership scheme? Did Mr Baxendale only agree to it after it had been suggested to him and he agreeing to it, realising that that was the only way his club could continue?

Did he have no choice in the matter? Was it either a membership scheme or closure?

That's actually four questions!

Q1. Mr Baxendale (the police were seeking closure).

Q2 Licensing conditions are not a matter for negotiation, as your question seems to imply (see also next reply).

Q3. No licensee has a choice in the conditions that may be imposed by the Licensing sub-committee. They are not up for negotiation (see reply to Q2) but are imposed. However, a licensee can appeal to a court to set aside or vary any condition of a license.

Q4. In my closing summary I observed that should there be a further review of the Niche license, then that current review might be considered as being 'the last chance saloon' and that the licensing sub-committee hoped that the new license conditions would overcome the current problems.

To redrobbo, I make my OWN assumptions and in MY opinion the Licensing sub committee have a duty to make sure that the police are not just simply targeting certain kinds of clubs. (Which they appear quite clearly to be doing)

I would like to know of of all the other license reviews that the sub committee have had to meet on following requests from the police within the city centre in the last 12 to 18 months, say?

You've got it wrong again Joe9T. The Licensing sub-commitees have a duty in law to review a license where so requested. They are not a police monitoring organisation, and - despite your claim to the contrary - have no such duty to check on what the police are, or are not, doing.

As you have kindly posted, the four core objectives of the Licensing Act 2003are:

1.the prevention of crime and disorder,

2.public safety,

3.prevention of public nuisance, and

4.the protection of children from harm

And you also state that it is the police who determine whether a license should be reviewed.

So, does that mean that there is/are no:

1.Crime and disorder problems occuring elsewhere in other city centre clubs in Sheffield?

2.No public safety concerns, occuring elsewhere in other city centre clubs in Sheffield?

3.No public nuisance, occuring elsewhere in other city centre clubs in Sheffield?

4.No underage drinking occuring elsewhere in other city centre clubs in Sheffield?

My point is... is that ALL clubs have breached or are breaching these four core principles, but the police only request reviews of certain ones that they don't like!

Licensed premises include pubs, clubs, off licenses, supermarkets, garages - indeed, anywhere that sells alcohol.

If the police have concerns over the operation of a license in relation to any of the four core objectives of the Licensing Act 2003 they are able to seek a review of a license.

I am aware that the police conduct test purchases on a regular basis. The majority of such test purchases are mostly satisfactory. Only a small minority of repeat failed test purchases lead to the police requesting a license review.

The Licensing sub committee surely have a duty to make sure that the police are applying the Act fairly and without bias and it is up to them to ask questions of the police and not just take their word for it.

Licensing members undertake regular training courses, which includes sessions on challenging evidence (from whatever source, including police evidence). In relation to the Niche license review hearing, I can assure you that I was particularly challenging of the police evidence. I would though remind everyone that some of the written police evidence was very favourable about Niche.

Just go to Leeds instead.

Absolutely, or Manchester or any other city that hasn't the mentality of Sheffield to totally wipe out the spirit of it's cities nightlife.

I bet the tax revenue generated by Sheffield nightlife has dramatically fallen in the last few years and to the benefit of other cities.

To those responsible for the destruction and continued destruction of the nightlife of Sheffield. Well done, you should be very proud of yourselves, but we live in a democracy and many thousands of people are not happy.

Cater for those that come to this city to study, but forget the thousands that were born here and will be in this city long after those that study here have moved on.

I am also a member of the Licensing Committee and I must concur with everything Red has written. The Committee have only one duty and that is to ensure, as far as is possible, the safety of the citizens of Sheffield and those who visit. Joe 9T you really need to get your facts straight as to the outcome of the reveiw of the Empire Bar

I am also a member of the Licensing Committee and I must concur with everything Red has written. The Committee have only one duty and that is to ensure, as far as is possible, the safety of the citizens of Sheffield and those who visit. Joe 9T you really need to get your facts straight as to the outcome of the reveiw of the Empire Bar
Only problem is people are no longer visiting to go clubbing. Niche was the last internationally known club brand in sheffield. I imagine Plug pulls in people from other cities and urban gorilla did but the night time economy in sheffield has long been disregarded by the council.

Even recently when Gatecrasher wanted to secure a venue the council torpedoed it. Because of a few complaints from sheffield theatres and Embrace.

I wonder how sheffields economy has been boosted by Crasher and Bed and Niche and Plug and Scuba and Urban Gorilla compared to say - big silver balls that dribble water outside St Pauls hotel?

Does the council understand that every weekend there are floods of people getting on trains and into taxi's and going to Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester and even Hull and Birmingham and London for a night out? Theres a river of money flowing out of sheffield and into other cities because quite simply the nightlife in sheffield isn't what it was.

Its not all the councils fault, not by a long way but they don't appear to do much to help either.

Archived