Strange obsevation on this forum

Everyone's always bitching on here - look its called sheffield forum because its for the people of sheffield and anyone else who holds an interest and everyone is entitled to ask about something that may have occurred somewhere in sheffield, they may not neccessarily get an answer but if you dont ask you dont get.

I think you're wrong, at least talking from a personal viewpoint. Take the little boy who was knocked down last week, I genuinely wanted to know the boy was ok and was upset to hear he'd been knocked down, I don't have to know a fellow human being to feel for them, and wish them well.

hey,

i just meant its ok to ask and of course its ok to 'hope the person is ok'

Some of these comments fall into the categories of politeness, reassurance, civility and humanity. Then obviously as described by some there is also the category of cynical.

But some sorrowful threads are also attention seeking or narcissistic. (P.S. Not many thankfully)

I guess there's nothing we can do about it - curiousity is part of human nature, so nosy people will always be there.

And about all the "hope it's ok" people - they just follow the conventions. It's as simple as that. It's just as normal as saying "hello" to your neighbours.

At least, in my opinion.

A neighbour one side looks across the wall and says "Lend me your lawnmower?". On the other side, the neighbour says "Hi pal, how's things? Could I borrow your lawnmower, please?"

I guess it's 50/50 which one gets to borrow the lawnmower?

Personally, I'd lend it to the first one. The 2nd is clearly just being nosey :|

I guess there's nothing we can do about it - curiousity is part of human nature, so nosy people will always be there.

And about all the "hope it's ok" people - they just follow the conventions. It's as simple as that. It's just as normal as saying "hello" to your neighbours.

At least, in my opinion.

I don't, I say "good morning", or stop and say "How's things", others I may just nod.

A neighbour one side looks across the wall and says "Lend me your lawnmower?". On the other side, the neighbour says "Hi pal, how's things? Could I borrow your lawnmower, please?"

I guess it's 50/50 which one gets to borrow the lawnmower?

Personally, I'd lend it to the first one. The 2nd is clearly just being nosey :|

I'd lend it to the second because their more civil, unless I know them to be a blagger who creeps using the laws of social facilitation.

Archived