Strange obsevation on this forum

"My thoughts are with the family" really annoys me, like these people wander round thinking about every family (of total strangers) who have had a tragedy that day, like Oldtrout said it's just a version of "I'm not morbid and nosey really"

In my case, if anyone were to use that phrase when I die it would just be wrong and insensitive. My family were bloody awful and I want nothing to do with any of them! I have used the phrase, but only in situations where I know there is family that merits the thought.

As for 'hope they're OK', I see it as a message of goodwill just in case anyone involved happens to read the forum. There have been cases of incidents that have been discussed concerning strangers, but then it emerges that the person has been told of the thread and finds it genuinely touching that people wished them well.

ETA Thinking about it, the family thoughts thing I tend to phrase differently, the standard version sounds too automatic.

Archived