Narrow minded people

Are disabled sports a sport?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Are disabled sports a sport?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont know

mmm, I was just checking the poll, now there's 6 no's and a don't know...

I have no regrets in saying shame on you "no's", you should feel guilty and hope nothing befalls you putting you in this category. Coal in your shoes...

I'll " +1" on that comment, spooky.

Disabled sport is sport, there's no question about that. But then disabled sport is also something for disabled people to do, in the same way that ordinary sport is something for able-bodied people to do - both are ultimately rather pointless if you ask me, but I suppose if people enjoy it, then fair enough.

Whether there should be events like the Paralympics, though, is an entirely different question. I guess I have reservations about events where it's difficult to ensure that everybody starts off on a level playing field, because the range of disabilities, both physical and mental, is so wide, and then you get controversies like the bloke with his special running legs and so on. If you win an event, is it because you are better at it than the person coming second, or just a bit less disabled?

Disabled sport is sport, there's no question about that. But then disabled sport is also something for disabled people to do, in the same way that ordinary sport is something for able-bodied people to do - both are ultimately rather pointless if you ask me, but I suppose if people enjoy it, then fair enough.

Whether there should be events like the Paralympics, though, is an entirely different question. I guess I have reservations about events where it's difficult to ensure that everybody starts off on a level playing field, because the range of disabilities, both physical and mental, is so wide, and then you get controversies like the bloke with his special running legs and so on. If you win an event, is it because you are better at it than the person coming second, or just a bit less disabled?

I always think that, how can you have a sprinting race where some people have legs made of spingy metal? Surely then its mainly down to design:confused:

or sometimes more disabled.

I had an interesting set of conversations a few years ago about a steroid Olympics. I / we know it's pretty "stupid", but... it happens and they exist, so why not?

EDIT:

I have not, will never and do not advise or condone the use of such things!

anyone seen blind football-how on earth do they do that? No it is definitely not a spectator sport but its so impressive!

There's a bell thingy* that jingles, inside the ball, llamatron, and the visually impaired players use the sound of the bell to locate where the ball is and where it's heading.

(*I believe that's the technical term for the device)

the individual sports have a classification system. Using wheelchair basketball as an example:-

You are allowed to field 14 points on court between 5 players.

able bodied - 5 points

below knee amputee - 4.5

above knee amputee - 4

spinal injury low - 3

spinal injury high - 2

spina bifida - 2

cerebal palsy - 1

these are only a rough guide as each player is classified individually, both to play for the league and then has to be classified again to play internationally. It is a very complex ruling. So for team events you have to have a team of players that dont go above 14 points (and internationally you are not allowed to use able bodied players). There are similar systems within all disability sports.

i hope that helps you clarrify how events such as the paralympics ensure that all players have an even playing field

Of course it is a sport:

A sport is usually a particular athletic-type activity requiring some sort of skill.

I would say that wheelchair basketball requires skill, power, stamina and to be slightly mad as it looks dangerous to me. As has already been said, it sounds like your sons friend is a little jealous and maybe is socially inept and struggles to express his low self esteem so is rude instead.

Archived