Narrow minded people

Are disabled sports a sport?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Are disabled sports a sport?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont know

Hi

My son was awarded a sports award last night from his school. I am immensely proud of him (i am anyway the award just means others see it to). He has excelled this last year at wheelchair basketball and is currently training with the GB squad, with a view to becoming part of the team.

However one of his so called friends has had a bit of a go at him telling him that the sport he was awarded it for isnt a sport and that it is just a 'thing for disabled people to do', and this has upset him and me immensley.

My question to you - are disabled sports a sport or just a pastime for disabled people to do?

Of course disabled sports are sport! I bet your son would show me up on the basketball court. His 'friend' is probably just jealous.

In my view that is ridiculous, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Of course you still win but winning is harder and thus more of an achievement when there are more people to beat.

You do, but if you were to beat a million people in a row at heads or tails that would be much more impressive, don't you think?

I really think it does. It doesn't matter how many people play the lottery, your odds of winning it are exactly the same every single time. That is not true with sports, and makes a huge difference.

You are putting words in my mouth, I have not said that. I'm simply saying that I think it is harder to be the best, and thus more of an achievement when there are more people to beat.

what exactly is your point here?

You are putting words into my mouth, I have not said that. I have no problem at all with raising the profiles of disabilities to stimulate research into cures and treatments, in fact I wholeheartedly approve. Please don't make up and attribute positions to me that I do not hold.

I'm not going to start an argument with you ... we disagree. The thread's about a little boy who's doing brilliantly. End of! :)

I'm not going to start an argument with you
You already did, its just that you don't have anything to say to continue it, which is probably why you resorted to building up strawmen to knock down in your last post.

The thread's about a little boy who's doing brilliantly. End of! :)
I thought this thread was about the issues surrounding this little boy and his friend's jealous reaction, and how disabled sports are perceived by people generally. At least those are the things the OP was about, as such our entire exchange has been pretty relevant and on topic if you ask me.

Archived