Liquid drain unblockers.

The water from my bath is draining very slowly. I am going to try one of the liquid drain un blockers like Mr. Muscle or Clit Bang. Does anyone know which of the many brands work the best?

Thanks.

Get yourself a good plunger, they are much more effective. They are inexpensive too and easy to use even for a woman.:D

we used caustic soda liquor at work to clear a blocked bog, worked a treat, not advisable tho

dont try this at home kids

What do you think is causing the blockage? (a point worth considering.)

If the blockage could be caused by human hair - some people shed massive amounts of thick hair - my wife sheds more than the dog [ but she uses the shower, the dog doesn't] [ I don't shed as much and my hair is very fine] then there are 2 things you can do:

1. Check the plug hole - can you drag hair off it?

2. Sodium Hydroxide (preferably in gel form.) Eats human hair (and will also clear clogs caused by fats.)

Gelled NaoH is safer to use than either concentrated liquid or pellets. - But they aren't that difficult to use.

Wear eye protection when you pour it in.

I do not feel very confident buying, preparing and using the chemicals mentioned. There are children in the house.

Mr. Muscle is “Ok”. Does anyone else have any suggestions for this kind of product?

It really is nothing to worry about.

Just get a bucket of water and slowly add some caustic soda to make a weak solution. There might be a small amount of fizzing, so do it near a window. Wear gloves so it doesn't go on your hands if you drop the bucket. And glasses so it doesn't splash in your face. Then pour it down the drain steadily to avoid it splashing on you.

You'll find a lot of the drain cleaner products on the market will in fact be a solution of sodium hydroxide, like the above.

The fizzing reaction is just letting off a bit of hydrogen gas.

The video I linked earlier shows what happens if you put aluminium into the mix too and shake it violently before closing the vessel its mixed in...

A sort of, 'how not to' mix.

Just get a bucket of water and slowly add some caustic soda to make a weak solution. There might be a small amount of fizzing, so do it near a window. Wear gloves so it doesn't go on your hands if you drop the bucket. And glasses so it doesn't splash in your face. Then pour it down the drain steadily to avoid it splashing on you.

You'll find a lot of the drain cleaner products on the market will in fact be a solution of sodium hydroxide, like the above.

The fizzing reaction is just letting off a bit of hydrogen gas.

The video I linked earlier shows what happens if you put aluminium into the mix too and shake it violently before closing the vessel its mixed in...

A sort of, 'how not to' mix.

Hydrogen? More likely steam from heat of solvation I'd have thought.

But regardless, a good solution of hydroxide will clear drains a treat. Just be aware it can attack even stainless steel and chrome given enough chance.

Hydrogen? More likely steam from heat of solvation I'd have thought.

But regardless, a good solution of hydroxide will clear drains a treat. Just be aware it can attack even stainless steel and chrome given enough chance.

Aye, I'm still thinking of the reaction with aluminium involved. Perhaps a small amount of hydrogen due to contaminants in the water but not much.

It really is pretty safe when you don't go mixing extra things into it :)

And then what? Leave it for how long? Or rinse with hot water as soon as I have put it down the drain?

And then what? Leave it for how long? Or rinse with hot water as soon as I have put it down the drain?

It will mix pretty much straight away into a weak solution, so leave it for a couple of minutes, then pour it down the drain. You would then be best of leaving it for a while, to give it time to clean the drain. Perhaps an hour.

Archived