Childrens toys in the 60's

JOHN HABS

Anyone remember the toys they use to play with as a child in the 1960's ?

Do you remember these:

1) Hoola Hoops

2) Whip and Top

3) Dinky Toy Cars

4) Jacks

5) Piece of triangular shaped cardboard with a folded piece of brown paper inside - you held it above your head then brought it down sharply and it gave a bang.

6) Roller skate with a book on it for you to sit on when going down hills.

7) Trolley's....... a shaped board with small pram wheels on the front and two large ones on the rear.........control steering with a piece of rope.

8) The 99 model YO-YO ......use to do tricks with them.

Games were of simple design in those days but still very enjoyable to play.

I remember those bobbin things with 4 pins in the top that we used to make yards and yards and yards of useless wool plaits on!

We also used to make balls out of silver paper and elastic bands and pompoms from 2 circles of cardboard that we wrapped wool round and round.

We played at picnics using stones and gravel for the food and bits of broken crockery.

Mostly we played in the derelict houses waiting for demolition-discovering 'treasure'.

Yes and yes to the above two posts !The useless bits of wool plait were known as 'French knitting' ! I can remember making the pom poms with bits of card too !

The pieces of folded card and brown paper that produced a bang reminded me of stuff you used to get free in comics.Can you remember rushing to get the latest edition to get the free gift, usually a plastic Kazoo or something !!

Yes and yes to the above two posts !The useless bits of wool plait were known as 'French knitting' ! I can remember making the pom poms with bits of card too !

The pieces of folded card and brown paper that produced a bang reminded me of stuff you used to get free in comics.Can you remember rushing to get the latest edition to get the free gift, usually a plastic Kazoo or something !!

That's it!!! French knitting! Couldn't remember what it was called when I posted.

I can remember the bangers and also Bunty and Judy comics that we had in the 50s/60s and the disappointment if my parents hadn't enough spare cash to buy them.

Johnny Seven (multi shooting missile gun)

Secret sam ( suitcase full of gadgets hidden camera etc)

whurler hoop(tube you whirled around to make a massive whurling sound)

marbles(playing in mucky man hole covers & trying to win luckies)

spinning tops (pushed up & down to make them spin concentrically for ages)

clackers (2 balls on sting) use to wrap your knuckles with these

Space hoppers ( used to sit on these large orange balls with ears)

Raleigh choppers & chippers ( funcky bikes with gear sticks)

Scalelectrix( Cars run on electric with 12 volt transformer)

Trophy football (use to get these for 1 book of green shield stamps)

often left in front of the fire & creating an egg on the side making it more like a rugby ball

Stilts (long pieces of wood with lugs on )

Roller skates staples (not recommended)

French arrows (piece of caine with home made flights & a roll of string to hurl them in the air

Gats Y shaped (often made from tree twigs)with elastic tide to fire

Whip & top

Subuteo ( football game)

Pogo sticks (use to jump up & down like a yoyo on these)

Combs with silver paper from fag packets for a cheap mans harmonica.

Obviously mosly boys toys/items not sure of the girls stuff but I will ask my brother

2 balls with all the different rhymes and throws

and not really a toy but a large piece of wool, elastic or string where 2 people (girls usually) would stand inside pulling it taut and another girl would stand on it and make a pattern. The wool would start at the girls' ankles then go to the calves then knees if the girl was successful. Anyone know what this was called?

Archived