Happy Thanksgiving 2010

I'm thankful for a great family and now it's November and winter is upon us I wont have to live the coming months in a world of damp cold, snow, slush and railway strikes.

From my house I can see snow on top of the highest mountain a few miles away but I will still be wearing shorts and spending days at the beach occasionally

But dont get me wrong though. I still feel a strong attachment to Sheffield and the old country. I like to go back for visits every few years but it's all rather like visiting a favorite old aunt. You're always happy to see her but you wouldn't want to live in the same house as her anymore

What are you thankful for?

I'm thankful for the fact that American cultural imperialism does not yet extend to us celebrating their national holidays.

What next, should we started celebrating the 4th of July and "our" escape from British tyranny?

When they celebrate (or even know about) Bonfire Night, then I might be prepared to relent a little.

I'm thankful for the fact that American cultural imperialism does not yet extend to us celebrating their national holidays.

What next, should we started celebrating the 4th of July and "our" escape from British tyranny?

When they celebrate (or even know about) Bonfire Night, then I might be prepared to relent a little.

American cultural imperialism :hihi: Where did you get that from? Mao's little red book ?

I don't celebrate Bonfire Night but I do know about it, thanks. I know quite a bit more about your traditions than probably most Americans but that is because I choose to know. This forum is about sharing....ideas, opinions, advice. I thought it would be nice to include everyone in something we are celebrating today. If you don't want to participate and have nothing to contribute, there are plenty of other threads on which you can post.

EERR WE ARE ENGLISH NOT AMERICAN???

Why was this thread created?

I lived in the Uk until about eight weeks ago. I shall be having a full Thanksgiving dinner courtesy of my new neighbours who have invited me round to join them and their family.

The World doesn't begin or end at the end of one's own street.

Too all the naysayers exactly what is wrong in everyone stopping and giving thanks for the things they have. It's a none religious time of celebration that is celebrated by everyone here regardless of religion and seems to be as big a deal as Christmas (although I haven't experienced one of those here yet).

Maybe if everyone took a day out of their lives to give thanks to friends and family for the things we all take for granted the world wouldn't be so full of miserable ********.

you know the Brits don't like Americans being happy about having nice things

Is it any wonder, with comments such as:

it's appriciated more when you work for what you have and it's not handed to you.

Archived