Happy Thanksgiving 2010

Hi Harleyman, I once saw a movie about how the US faked the moon landing...but it was only a movie. ;)

He never said the world was round. He thought it was pear shaped and about a quarter of its actual size.

Despite his later reputation, his voyage of 1492 wasn't intended to discover a new continent but to prove that Asia was much closer than anyone imagined. He was wrong.

Columbus never actually set foot on mainland America. The closest he came was the Bahamas (probably the small island of Plana Cays) - but made his crew swear an oath that, if asked, they would say they had reached India.

Anyway...have a very happy thanksgiving. And that goes for all the Americans on here. :)

I defer to your fine sense of history Swami and you are correct. In actual fact the first white hombre to reach these shores was a Dane who went by the monniker of Eric the Red (If I'm not mistaken) and who reached what is today Newfoundland way before Colombo's time.

He had tp leave in a hurry though as being the tactless Viking that he was he started making jokes about Thick Newfies :hihi:

Thanks and have a nice day Swami :)

It's the first time i've mentioned them for ages. I can see why you think it's below the belt though!

Short term memory loss? your posts 53 and 57

Not so Hairyman, I put it down, once again, to your seemingly intermittent ability to understand the English language.

Why are you always rattlling on about US politics or Sarah Palin?

?

Your use of the word always implies at times other than this evening on this thread. Therefore, it could reasonably be assumed that when I said 'it's the first time I have mentioned them for ages' I was refering to tonight on this thread. If I had meant what you seem to think, I would have said something more along the lines of "I only said it once." Lesson over.

Now you study hard young man, because you have a lot of catching up to do!

I'm thankful for the fact that American cultural imperialism does not yet extend to us celebrating their national holidays.

What next, should we started celebrating the 4th of July and "our" escape from British tyranny?

When they celebrate (or even know about) Bonfire Night, then I might be prepared to relent a little.

No one forced Brits to do Halloween, did they ?

Well, I started this thread with good intentions but, as often happens on SF when it comes to anything American, it seems to have gone skewiff. I would like to thank those that contributed the things they are thankful for and those that passed along well wishes.

Archived