Snow in Australia?

mikeG

Snow's here. Bit too early for my liking. But does it snow in Australia? I'm sure the south coast of Australia is about as far away from the equator as Brighton or Torquay yet I never hear of them skiing in Oz. Its recently been 100 degrees F down there cooling off to about 80F. Is it all sun, surf, sand and fun down there or do their cars and roads get iced up too. If Skippy's reading this, he'll know the answer.

Interesting. We learn something every day. I think Canberra is near the south coast which may have more snow than the north coast which is nearer the equator.

I'm not sure they'll get any at all near the North Coast....I think the altitude of the Snowy Mountains may be a factor as well as the geographical position......

Just googled. Apparently there are vast areas of skiable terrain in the south eastern states. Between 1250 and 2200 metres up. Thredbo, Perisher and Mount Buller are mentioned. As you say, its probably too hot in northern Oz.

It can snow on the New England Tableland in NSW also. Coming from tropical Queensland I had never seen actual snow, but as an undergraduate at the university a coach-load of us went on a visit to the university there, and we passed through an area where snow had fallen. We made the driver stop and we all got out and had a snowball fight!

Archived