Beware buying wedding dresses from china

Just wanted to warn people about buying wedding dresses from china,I know they are cheap and look gorgous but being a dressmaker I have had the pleasure of altering quite a few of these,the last one I had the side seams were not were they should have been(the bodice had been put on wrong so the dress didnt hang right)and also the finishing off left a lot to be desired,these were just a few problems.To all brides its your special day dont spoil it by saving a few pounds on chinese rubbish.

Thanks for the info! i have seen a few that are lovely looking but after that i think i will spend that bit more and get something well made!

seen as you are a dressmaker would it be possible to just ask, im a size 16 at the minute but am now on a wedding dress diet! if i found a dress and bought it at a size 16 and managed to get to down to a size 12 (ambitious i know) would it be possible for it to be taken in that much and would it look ok or would it be wiser to wait until just before the wedding and get something in my size???

utterly confused

Hi Obviously it would be best to try and get your size when you lose weight as you may like the dress if you got it now,but when you lose weight your body will change shape and then you may find the style doesnt suit you any more,I can take wedding dresses in but it depends on how many layers,if its a difficult style ect as to how much it would cost usually for a simple style I would charge around £35.00 to take in.As I say depends on the amount of work that needs to be done.Hope this helps if you would like to chat about it e-mail me and I will give you my telephone number so we can have a chat

E-Mail clarenandy@googlemail.com

Regards Clare

• 1 month later...

To be honest, even if the dress we ordered did need anything altering, the cost of that still wouldn't outweigh the huge savings to be made, which in our case was about £1400 on the dress alone!!! So a few alterations wouldn't cost anywhere near that :)

Our daughter looked stunning in her China made wedding dress and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the particular seller on ebay that we used :)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with you however until i arrived here i didnt know how much bulgaria plays a part in the UK and Italian market.

A member of my family gets married in April and sent an incredible amount of sizes across, i went to assenovgrad the capitol of dress making here in bulgaria and her her stunning dress made exactly as she wanted it. That cost her about 450 pounds with delivery. the dress would retail in sheffield for about 1200 pounds. She did all that without a flight over.

Flight to sofia are 100 return( pounds) and a driver and translator plus hotel should be around 100 pounds per 24-36 hours.

so for around 650 pounds you have a dress worth double that.

The dress delivery to uk cost 25 pounds.

I have dealt with dresses from china and got to say you get what you pay for in most cases.

i agree that you should,nt just buy from a random seller on ebay or dhgate,as in most cases they are just cheap immitations and the pictures they put up are not the actual dress.a friend of mine did buy on ebay and the dress was amazing but i think she just got lucky.but there is a genuine site called lightinthebox and the pictures and models are genuinely thier own dresses modelled proffesionally.this is a genuine wedding dress maker of high quality.they have plenty of testimonials from genuine brides.so not all chinese dressmakers are shoddy.

Just wanted to warn people about buying wedding dresses from china,I know they are cheap and look gorgous but being a dressmaker I have had the pleasure of altering quite a few of these,the last one I had the side seams were not were they should have been(the bodice had been put on wrong so the dress didnt hang right)and also the finishing off left a lot to be desired,these were just a few problems.To all brides its your special day dont spoil it by saving a few pounds on chinese rubbish.

Ooooh you've got me worried..!! I've ordered my dress from china.. Its due to be delivered by the end of feb.. Luckily I don't get married til august so I have plenty of time to get it adjusted if needed or buy an alternate sample sale dress..! I may be in contact in the next few weeks..!

B x x

Please please please be so wary of buying from china... I bought one from landybridal or lindybridal also know as asapbay, the dress was really really nasty, the top and bottom were attached with tacking stitches, the actual dress and lining were not sewn together so when walking the lining went astray looking like I had 2 trains, the jewels on it because it had been packed inside out had pulled the rest of the dress, the dress was actually wonky, honestly the list goes on and the quality was so nasty. To add insult to injust they agreed to refund me upon return of their dress, and guess what, no refund despite daily emails to them for a month... So, £150 for nothing, the best bit is I found the actual dress that they were copying ( an essence of Australia) as a sample for the same money in a bridal shop that was closing down..... If you've ordered from china I'm sorry to put a dampener on it for you, if you're thinking about it don't do it, it's a waste of money, there are so many other alternatives, if you can't afford the dress of you're dreams I'm sure with enough determination you'd find it in a sample sale or second hand and if push comes to shove I'm sure a good local dressmaker could do it for not much more than china.......

Please please please be so wary of buying from china... I bought one from landybridal or lindybridal also know as asapbay, the dress was really really nasty, the top and bottom were attached with tacking stitches, the actual dress and lining were not sewn together so when walking the lining went astray looking like I had 2 trains, the jewels on it because it had been packed inside out had pulled the rest of the dress, the dress was actually wonky, honestly the list goes on and the quality was so nasty. To add insult to injust they agreed to refund me upon return of their dress, and guess what, no refund despite daily emails to them for a month... So, £150 for nothing, the best bit is I found the actual dress that they were copying ( an essence of Australia) as a sample for the same money in a bridal shop that was closing down..... If you've ordered from china I'm sorry to put a dampener on it for you, if you're thinking about it don't do it, it's a waste of money, there are so many other alternatives, if you can't afford the dress of you're dreams I'm sure with enough determination you'd find it in a sample sale or second hand and if push comes to shove I'm sure a good local dressmaker could do it for not much more than china.......

ouch sounds like you had a nasty experiance from one of the shoddy chinese dress makers,hope it all turned out good for you in the end,my friend paid a fiver for her dress and 89 pounds shipping on ebay and her dress was gorgeous,if she had,nt told me i would have assummed she,d payed over a grand it was that nice.guess its a bit of a lucky dip,cant say i have ever heard of the companys you ordered from.i am getting my dress from china its called lightinthebox and they are a genuine company with real dressmakers and they warn about cheap imitators and even show you the differance in thier materials and crap imitators.i will still look round the bridal shops here too,before i buy as u never know,i may find my dream dress right on my doorstep:)

Archived