Criminal Rehabilitation

Your theory is just that' date=' a theory and whilst very well thought out and clinically correct just wouldnt work when the change has to go much deeper than neural pathways. That said, I dont know what the answer is either :)[/quote']

Mmm, my addition, which would be unbelievably expensive, would be to put the 'convicts' into out-numbered groups where it is simulated real / normalised life for periods.

What was that finishing school programme (on TV) a while back. That probably included most of the activities i'd think were necessary.

Second thought to my addition...

Virtual reality therapy!

I shouldn't because i'm being (somewhat) serious, but LOL...

Mmm, my addition, which would be unbelievably expensive, would be to put the 'convicts' into out-numbered groups where it is simulated real / normalised life for periods.

Hmmm is that not what the Probation Service try to achieve when offenders come out and are on Licence? There are already services like NACRO and SOVA who also try to promote reintegration. On a slightly different subject (but certainly the same social groups) in certain rehab programmes there is a "re-entry" phase - the theory being that after detoxification and therapy another few months should be spent in a "simulated real / normalised life" just like you suggest. The fail rate at this stage is staggering (I dont have stats but I know this to be true) and this is amongst a community who WANT to change but then still stumble at the final furlong when faced with the realities of life.

Hmmm is that not what the Probation Service try to achieve when offenders come out and are on Licence? There are already services like NACRO and SOVA who also try to promote reintegration. On a slightly different subject (but certainly the same social groups) in certain rehab programmes there is a "re-entry" phase - the theory being that after detoxification and therapy another few months should be spent in a "simulated real / normalised life" just like you suggest. The fail rate at this stage is staggering (I dont have stats but I know this to be true) and this is amongst a community who WANT to change but then still stumble at the final furlong when faced with the realities of life.

mmm, but I was thinking of (LOL !), doing whilst inside, say if they are kept say under sedation, then brought out to participate, then put back... i.e. intensive therapy without external influence.

One of the reasons why I think this would work better is because of the 'sleep' stages. That is where the learnt behaviour gets reinforced. I know I learn better if I do a quick review just before bed, I wake up thinking about the same subject, even remembering dreams where I solved problems.

When I was put first put on Fluoxetine, i'd wake up and go to get on with some programming. I'd then be flummoxed thinking, well where's the work I did yesterday, I soon realised I was doing work in my sleep. It was frustrating, but made my day easy since i'd already done the work once.

but then still stumble at the final furlong when faced with the realities of life.

Mmm, i've been on some social integration courses run by the NHS, problem was that some on the course were there just to please the benefits system and were therefore undermining everything said. By the time I got back (maybe even being dragged out for a pint or two), i'd either forgotten or it was mixed up... One step forward, two steps back!

Mmm, i've been on some social integration courses run by the NHS, problem was that some on the course were there just to please the benefits system and were therefore undermining everything said. By the time I got back (maybe even being dragged out for a pint or two), i'd either forgotten or it was mixed up... One step forward, two steps back!

Yes but people in rehab are usually there by choice so they have made the conscious decision to turn their lives around and undergone intensive therapy to start on this journey but the majority find the hardest part the "re-entry" where they are living in non-staffed houses and engaging in daily life. So I'm just saying that after your neural conditioning, the individual would still have to find their way in the world and that is the hardest part.

Yes but people in rehab are usually there by choice so they have made the conscious decision to turn their lives around and undergone intensive therapy to start on this journey but the majority find the hardest part the "re-entry" where they are living in non-staffed houses and engaging in daily life. So I'm just saying that after your neural conditioning' date=' the individual would still have to find their way in the world and that is the hardest part.[/quote']

True, but if they've learnt to say no and been through the process a hundred times, even if in simulation it is easier.

But once again, recently my life has been hell because of an overbearing scumbag who led me astray to say the least. Debts, police, people trouble, the lot. So I know my previous paragraph is full of the proverbial...

LOL, i'm running out of answers, even though this is a different (not really separate) part of the system. So... Hopefully after a while it'd be working well enough that it wouldn't be an issue, but that's just wishful thinking... Dunno! (at the moment)

Even people who i've known that have moved city when getting out and say met at college (amongst others) and have been making a real go of it, have 'bumped' into trouble.

Going for a walk, maybe a solution will materialise.

Not that any of this thread is a solution to anything!

Archived