Is this the end of my marriage?

Fairydust whatever you do DON'T leave your house and children. As other posters have said go and see a solicitor NOW and get advice. Don't leave it too late.

You DO NOT have to leave the house. He cannot force you out.

Maybe shes worried about getting a beating though.

Have you got any relatives or friends?

OP, if the house is a council house are you not down on the tenancy at all? I know you have to give them the names of people you are living with. If you are named on the tenancy you could try ringing the housing office up and tell them your about to be kicked out, they will class you as homeless and hopefully give you priority housing.

tbh.. no i dont want to be with him the way he is now but im a strong believer that marriage is for life and its not something you should just give up on, although ive tried not to give up, he hasent and made it very obvious that this is the end of the road in his eyes, which is fine its his life but he has left me with NOTHING and im heartbroken that everything ive sacrificed and the years ive put in stuck by his side have all been for nothing.

Let me get this straight, so if he doesnt love you anymore he should still stick with the marriage and be unhappy? This is the 21st century.

Fairydust whatever you do DON'T leave your house and children. As other posters have said go and see a solicitor NOW and get advice. Don't leave it too late.

You DO NOT have to leave the house. He cannot force you out.

That said - if he WONT go and is being abusive, it's important that Fairydust finds out where to get help if she HAS to leave.

In the short term, if she leaves and takes the children her husband will have to pay maintenance at 15% of his net salary.

In the long term, the division of assets is usually 70/30 in favour of the spouse who has majority care of the children - regardless of who remains in the marital home.

he wont let me take the kids, he says i have no where to go so the kids should stay with him.

the house is a council house under his name only.

Take your kids and get to Citizens Advice or the Samaritans and ask them to put you in touch with a women's refuge. There are about 3 in Sheffield or you can be moved out of the area if you want to make a fresh start. They have family rooms so you can have your children with you and will help you to get back on your feet by sorting out your benefit entitlements, housing needs and any custody battles for the kids. I went through exactly the same 2 years ago and my only regret is not taking the kids when I got thrown out as I then had to wait 4 months for the court case to say that I had every right to have them. There is light at the end of the tunnel and there is help out there for you. PM me if you want any more info.

he wont let me take the kids, he says i have no where to go so the kids should stay with him.

the house is a council house under his name only.

Again, it doesn't matter who's name the ouse is in - and he can't make you leave without your children.

As someone else said - if you must leave, please don't go without the kids - it will be a nightmare getting them back.

I suggest you surreptitiously start organising somewhere to go with the kids, If you really are afraid of violence then start talking to someone who can help from the domestic abuse agencies.

Look here:

http://www.sdaf.org.uk/advices.asp

Archived