Tesco cust services say “we don’t make any money on fuel”

mart

If you buy your fuel at Tescos, you now only get half a point for each pound you spend, or put another way, you get one point for each £2 you spend. I asked customer services why this was, and was told “we don’t make any money from the fuel we sell-its just for customer convenience”. I asked how other petrol stations make a profit. The response was “ we don’t make a profit due to the cost of transport & costs of running the petrol station“. I think someone is “taking the Michael”.

There were articles a few years ago about how the prices of products in the service station shop are more expensive that in the main store, all except the ones you probably know the price of, e.g. bread, milk, etc...

But, knowing Tesco, they may not make a profit on it (it is a profitable customer lead business), or just use it as a loss leader.

I think garages only get about 5p per litre....this has to pay for the staff etc...

When petrol was about 119p/litre the breakdown was

57p duty

18p VAT

39p for the fuel

5p to the retailer

not a huge profit to be made there..

VAT is 17.5% (17 1/2 pence for each £1) If the fuel is say 39p, are you saying we pay tax on tax:huh: - vat on the 57p duty?

I suspect they don't make much on it.

Insuring a petrol station must cost a fortune. Now you can pay at the pumps I expect they sell less in the shop-thing. They are a few pence cheaper than everywhere else anyway, and there is very little profit in the actual petrol.

However, if you sell petrol, it's another reason for people to shop at your supermarket - hence they do. It makes them money, but indirectly.

If you're not happy with the value of the free things you are being given, you of course can go and get free things that are more acceptable of someone else.

If you're not happy with the value of the free things you are being given, you of course can go and get free things that are more acceptable of someone else.

I don`t understand what you have said there, even though i have read it a few times.

Archived