Tesco cust services say “we don’t make any money on fuel”

mart

this is true.

you can check the box that says you dont want your personal details being passed on to other parties, as i did and always do.

but im not too bothered if they want to pass on that:

anonymous single female, lives alone, in south yorkshire, no dietary requirements, 28 years old, drives a car, like rich tea biscuits and drinks too much coffee, doesnt own any pets, has never bought any condoms so is either gay or very religious..... blah blah blah

they are selling their data (yes, it belongs to them. read the terms and conditions) not your details.

personally i dont care, as long as my name and address isnt included anywhere. i see it as a mutually beneficial agreement. they get my shopping habits i get cheaper groceries or free meals out once every three months.

they can market whatever they want. i still wont buy it unless i want it. my 'extra points' coupons with my most recent clubcard voucher all went in the bin apart from the £1 off ariel washing tablets, cos i actually buy those :thumbsup:

All very true and sensible. I wasn't digging, just stating where the financial benefit to the loyalty card scheme runner actually is.

All very true and sensible. I wasn't digging, just stating where the financial benefit to the loyalty card scheme runner actually is.

yeah, they wouldnt do it if they didnt get anything out of it!

there's a heck of a lot of benefits to them knowing how, where, when and why customers shop. and they do make a killing out of knowing all this.

it can be a good thing for the customers too. shops know what to get rid of because no one buys it and get new things in. we'd all moan if they were selling the same things for 20 years!

as an aside im sure i remember at somerfields years ago that you had to have a card to scan before any of the offers worked? ie if something was bogof it only went through as bogof if you swiped a card. and didnt if you didnt have a card....? but youdidnt get any vouchers or anything, just that the offers would go through?

To my mind, loyalty card data is just a modern version of the knowledge your local greengrocer, butcher and so on used to have about you. Small shopkeepers used to know what you liked, what you didn't like, what you hadn't bought for a while, and new things that might tempt you! The only real difference is scale.

before fuel prices went stupid supermarkets had their price,main petrol stations (bp,shell etc )were 2p dearer then the motorways were a further 5p dearer,not now i got fuel on the A1 cheaper than morrisons !!!!.they don`t even put their slogan on the side of their own tankers "FUEL AT SUPERMARKET PRICES" anymore,and people say they don`t make a good profit,oops my sides have just split with laughter.

And secondly the "discounts" as you call them are totally balanced out by the relative expensiveness of other items that you also pop in your basket while your collecting them.

Definitely not true in my case, because the only things I buy from Tesco are the things that are cheaper there than anywhere else.

£480 per hour profit per station.

40% capacity (estimate)

Open 14 hours a day

= £2688 profit per day

x 365 days a year

= £981,120 profit on fuel alone before profit from sales of goods and subletting cash machines etc.

That is a tidy profit.

The 5p a litre isn't profit...it's what is left after all the other stuff mentioned,Duty/VAT/fuel itself has been taken away...the garage has to run itself on that 5p/litre..you know,unimportant stuff like rates/wages/maintenance etc...

The 5p a litre isn't profit...it's what is left after all the other stuff mentioned,Duty/VAT/fuel itself has been taken away...the garage has to run itself on that 5p/litre..you know,unimportant stuff like rates/wages/maintenance etc...

mine was a very simple equation left open for others to add too. Its probably over simplistic, but even if I am 50% out that's still a lot of money even when you subtract the wage bill / rent etc.

My calculation also disregarded all over means of income to these petrol stations so again there is more money for them to make.

mine was a very simple equation left open for others to add too. Its probably over simplistic, but even if I am 50% out that's still a lot of money even when you subtract the wage bill / rent etc.

My calculation also disregarded all over means of income to these petrol stations so again there is more money for them to make.

As I suggested in a previous post why are hundreds of filling stations closing if there's such a good profit to be made? And your figures are still made up... :) wonder what the real ones are?

Not profit..they have tp pay staff and run the garage with it....your figures are a bit made up aren't they...could you really pump 40 litres in less than 2 mins..? and you're assuming every pump is in constant use...I don't think they're realistic

Fair enough. However even reducing the figures they still make a decent profit

Archived