Tesco cust services say “we don’t make any money on fuel”

mart

coca cola is successful because of the marketing and because people like it and choose to buy it. you can spend as much money as you like marketing something, but if people dont like the product they wont buy it.

and secondly the "discounts" cost tesco more than £60 million a year, money that they could keep and the prices will stay the same cos they are based on what their competitors charge, not on how many people use a clubcard.

its a loyalty scheme, it works on bringing repeat custom and, yes, providing them with data so they can streamline their product ranges to what people show they want to buy rather than what a researcher thinks people want to buy.

people can choose not to have a clubcard and they can choose to shop somewhere else, nothings forced on people!

But the point is coca cola wouldn't exist if it wasn't marketed and so the question is, does the consumer really have choice? Or does marketing have a more powerful effect on the consumer? Making them think they want something, when in fact they don't? I personally think consumers don't have as much choice as they think.

But the point is coca cola wouldn't exist if it wasn't marketed and so the question is, does the consumer really have choice? Or does marketing have a more powerful effect on the consumer? Making them think they want something, when in fact they don't? I personally think consumers don't have as much choice as they think.

the advent of marketing has changed the world we live irrevocably, if you consider what the world was (supposed) to be like 60-70 years ago.

coca-cola probably would still exist, but only in the place where its made.

if it wasnt for marketing we would have very little choice in what we bought'it'd depend on where we lived. the point of marketing is to influence the choice a person makes. i suppose it depends how easily people are influenced.

ie, some people rushed out at midnight to buy an Ipad, other didnt give a damn... there has to be a market for the product first, im sure if i spent millions marketing a pair of dirty socks i would be wasting my money.

in some ways they've kind of dug themselves into a hole with this one.

they make virtually no profit (ie no profit on the scale that tesco usually make a profit).

they are running an expensive/no return venture in itself that has to compete with the regular competition in order to get customers into the main store, but if they ditched all the forecourts they wouldnt see a loss from the lack of fuel sales, they'd see a loss from the customers in the main store that have gotten used to filling the car up whilst doing the weekly shop and have now started shopping at morrisons cos they have a forecourt.

tesco also invest millions subsidising the 5p a litre off vouchers as it gets them even more millions from people buying groceries to qualify for it...

Nothing is forced on people? Ok. try doing the weeks shopping,anywhere you like, without giving any money to say Nestle, Kraft or Heinz. Let us know who you get on :)

Nothing is forced on people? Ok. try doing the weeks shopping,anywhere you like, without giving any money to say Nestle, Kraft or Heinz. Let us know who you get on :)

but im not bothered either way about giving my money to those companies, i just want to buy my food.

flay me if you like about the evils of those companies, but my idea of choice is what brand of beans i buy in whichever brand of shop. whoever owns them isnt at the top of my making choices list...

but im not bothered either way about giving my money to those companies, i just want to buy my food.

flay me if you like about the evils of those companies, but my idea of choice is what brand of beans i buy in whichever brand of shop. whoever owns them isnt at the top of my making choices list...

Why should I want to flay you? And why assume I think they're evil? I was just pointing out, that beyond the colour the shop is painted, or the label on the package, you have very little choice.

You seem to already know that, so no prob.

Why should I want to flay you? And why assume I think they're evil? I was just pointing out, that beyond the colour the shop is painted, or the label on the package, you have very little choice.

You seem to already know that, so no prob.

sorry! an over reaction on my part!

seen too many of those 'all big corporations are evil' comments on SF and thought there'd be one coming my way soon! My apologies :)

My sister used to work for Total, on the service station side of the business. The petrol companies make a loss on the forecourts, it's on the refining side that they make their money. Her job was essentially to minimise the loss. It's not surprising then that supermarkets see petrol as a loss leader to entice people in to buy the groceries.

Archived