Does anyone know anything about Car Tax?

Hi,

I have just bought a cheap run-around for my Mrs, so the car is in her name. However, she hasn't passed her test yet so I thought it would be an incentive for her to pass.

In the meantime, I have insured the car in my name and have been using it.

The tax is due to run out at the end of the month and someone has just told me you can't tax a car if the name on the insurance is different from the name on the V5 document.

Is this true?

Surely I'd have thought that as long as the registration number on the V5 is the same as the registration number on the insurance policy, this would prove that the vehicle is adequately insured and thus they'd let you renew the car tax?

Has anyone ever had any experience with this?

Cheers.

Hi,

I have just bought a cheap run-around for my Mrs, so the car is in her name. However, she hasn't passed her test yet so I thought it would be an incentive for her to pass.

In the meantime, I have insured the car in my name and have been using it.

The tax is due to run out at the end of the month and someone has just told me you can't tax a car if the name on the insurance is different from the name on the V5 document.

Is this true?

Surely I'd have thought that as long as the registration number on the V5 is the same as the registration number on the insurance policy, this would prove that the vehicle is adequately insured and thus they'd let you renew the car tax?

Has anyone ever had any experience with this?

Cheers.

If the registration on the insurance certificate matches the reg on V5 then you can tax it .x hth

Ah same situation as me then. I'll try renewing it online. Maybe the person who told me I couldn't renew with different name earlier didn't actually know what they were on about!

Cheers! :)

If you think about it,most company cars will be leased..the lease co. will be named on the V5 but the cars will (generally) be insured by the company running them..they don't have any problem taxing them..

You can tax a car for somebody even though you are not the registered keeper.

That's not what the OP is asking..he wants to know if it's a problem trying to tax a car where the name on the V5 doesn't match the name on the insurance documents (I think)

Archived