What was your first job and where ?

shaznay

mine was as a page boy at the royal victoria hotel and i might add i was the last page in sheffield, it was a great grounding for my future working life i wore a full page boy tunic complete with hat and white gloves.the yaer was 1967 and the winter mornings walking up station approach at 6 30am was not for a young'un like me but once in the warmth of the hotel it felt o k used to have to polish all the brasses smell of brasso brings it all back i always had to take all the huge laundry baskets on to victoria station on a sack barrow bigger than me. had to meet the master cutler train and bring suit cases to hotel then take them up to there rooms sometimes got a sixpence tip after a while i asked to train as chef in the massive basement kitchen, but they put me in the dining room instead, had to do 3 months training [silver service] in what was called the stewards room wher the house keeper,head porter ,etc had ther lunch anyway i stayed with british transport hotels for a lot of years reaching position of head waiter at railway hotel lochalsh hotel in scottish highlands. perhaps some one will recognise these names from the royal vic Bill Brian. FRED Wood ,mr Marquie jimmy shipstone . big mick cooper [lader chef] sidney howe head chef. doreen skidmoor. dave turton. chris mellor.richard hodges.

My first job when I left Yew Lane in 1958 was at this massive sewing factory somewhere in town. What a din! I lasted a whole one and half days, then I couldn't stand the noise anymore and walked out. :hihi:

That would have probably been CWS on West Street, cuz, my sister in law and a friend I used to work with both worked there at same time when they left school on 1966

• 2 weeks later...

Gowers on Nodder Rd. Saturday job, stacking shelves, delivering orders on my trolley, after taking papers for Les Hogson and Elsie, papers before school, Stars after. At Gowers, drinking tea with the adults in the back room was my baptism. The day Churchill was buried a young shop assistant, Barbara, gave me a glimpse of her chest, set me up for life. 7/6d at Gowers, 12/6 for papers, I was rich.

Archived