What was your first job and where ?

shaznay

I started in the radio & tv dept at Walshs's in 1974. It was just like Grace bros! but we always had a good social life in the surrounding pubs after work. I had the choice of Walsh's, Cole Bros, Wilson Tupholmes or Cockaynes but chose Walsh's because they paid £1 more a week!. Choice of four jobs on leaving school - a far cry from today.

My first job was at 16 years old when I did a training scheme at Eaton & Booth Ltd on Penistone Road which is now Reg Vardy or some other car showroom. Offices use to be on the left and the billet field was B&Q now stands. Use to be an office junior and I loved it!

1966 - office junior at Sheffield Chamber of Commerce in Cutlers Hall, got to meet Lord Mayor and Master Cutler. Also when went down back stairs day before cutlers feast doors were open on one of balconies and I have never seen so much silver laid out. But the highlight was one day when the manager sent me to Davy's (now WH Smiths) and Dave Berry was stood at the delicatessen. He was (and still is) a star and I was 15. My first wage was £4.10.00d (£4.50p)

Archived