What was your first job and where ?

shaznay

I lived in Dundee when I was young, but my memories are very similar to others of my age group here.

Saturday job at 15 in 1961 in the Meadow Dairy (like the Maypole but even cheaper ;)) 15/- (75p) We wore white nylon overalls that always looked mucky and smelt of bacon no matter how much we washed them. :gag:

Then junior clerkess for Dundee corporation in 1962 - £16 a month.

• 1 month later...
Saturday Lad at Patricks Butchers in t' Castle Market in Oct 68 ... Went Full Time on leaving Yew Lane School in April 69....Pay was £5 a week

Thats same pay as I got Guz as office junior at Sheffield Chamber of Commerce (cutlers hall) when I started work in July 1966:wave:

B & C Co Op Resteraunt Angel St 1972. Worked here for a short time after leaving school while waiting to start at college. Best part of job was doing the childrens party food and working downstairs on the cooked chicken counter, especially on early closing days when the bakery ladies would slip me a cream bun to go with my cuppa. Worst part was trundling a cabinet of hot food down to Suffolk Rd for the funeral teas. Totally embarrassed and hoping no one I knew saw me LOL.

The other good thing was on Saturdays if there was any cooked chicken left at the end of the day, the boss would give it us to take home. I always went to the pictures with my friend after work, so if you ever sat in the ABC thinking you could smell Barbeque chicken you weren't imaging it LOL

B & C Co Op Resteraunt Angel St 1972. Worked here for a short time after leaving school while waiting to start at college. Best part of job was doing the childrens party food and working downstairs on the cooked chicken counter, especially on early closing days when the bakery ladies would slip me a cream bun to go with my cuppa. Worst part was trundling a cabinet of hot food down to Suffolk Rd for the funeral teas. Totally embarrassed and hoping no one I knew saw me LOL.

The other good thing was on Saturdays if there was any cooked chicken left at the end of the day, the boss would give it us to take home. I always went to the pictures with my friend after work, so if you ever sat in the ABC thinking you could smell Barbeque chicken you weren't imaging it LOL

My late aunty, Lily Twibell worked in the bakery dept at that time, she was a lovely person and if anyone would slip you a free bun, she would have been the one!.

Archived