Winter kit in your car - what to pack

Maybe it's because of the amount of snow we got last year, or maybe it's because I've got a baby on board, or maybe it's because secretly I want an adventure - but for the first time I've actually made up a box of 'things that might be useful' to keep in the car over winter.

So far I have:

2 x pairs of walking boots

1 x pair childs wellingtons

4 x blankets

2 x pair of old jeans for putting under slipping tyres

1 x pair waterproof trousers (found them when looking for walking boots - thought I might as well put them in)

1 x kagool - was with the trousers

Definitely need to add some food and water, and gloves. Goodness knows where they are - I can feel a trip to poundland and decathlon coming on.

Anyway - I expect some people think this is well over the top, and others will be able to suggest things to add. Most people will, I suspect, not care. Perhaps you'd like to tell me which camp you are in, and make comments accordingly? Do I need to kep a shovel in there, for example?

I have only really got one proper coat, and chances are I'll have that in the car anyway, but thinking about it I must have a fleece somewhere - probably in the bottom of the laundry hamper where I presume all my thick socks are!

Will get some dried fruit and nuts as well I think - crisps are just going to make me hungrier and thirstier :-)

Not sure I fancy carrying around a bag of grit all winter though. I've got winter tyres on so hopefully I should be ok without the extra weight - and I've nowhere to put it in spring if I don't use it anyway. Touch wood I'll be ok. And I can't bring myself to buy a snow shovel either. Might just put the garden spade in there.

I'm driving to Manchester and back tomorrow - I bet I don't see a single flake.

Definately a shovel, also a torch.

Edited to add also some spare change, hidden, of course, just in case the mobile packs up etc.

Check! There is always a torch in the glovebox, with the batteries in backwards so it doesn't turn itself on accidentally. I've got a phone charger cable as well as change - I bet we've all got a few quid in our cars if we look properly :-)

Apparently loads of the cars that got stuck last year ran out of fuel because people were trying to keep warm by leaving the engine running, so I filled it up properly the other day (can't be bothered most of the year so it normally never has more than £30 in it) and will keep topping it up when it gets to half full.

I was thinking of digging my camping stove out of the shed to make tea with, an then I started thinking I could have a tin of beans in my box - then I thought that as perhaps going too far.

Archived