Winter kit in your car - what to pack

On a journey like you have to Manchester I'd just have a flask of tea or soup instead of the camping stove.

Tomorrow will be fine I'm sure - I go most weeks to see the parents/grandparents. I think last week might have been my last go on Woodhead for a while though, visibility was awful and as passable as it is, it only takes one person to make a mistake and the road is closed - not ideal with a toddler. M62 for me for a few months.

Last year we nearly got stuck in Chatsworth when the first heavy snow came, which is why I think I'm doing a box this year. Little one was happy with milk from mummy then, but that won't work now, even if mummy is in the car.

The kitted out car is the family car so it's always off somewhere. I very much doubt I'd be organised enough to make a flask every time we went out, but with the stove we could get hot water if we needed it. I bet it's got no gas though!

Tomorrow will be fine I'm sure - I go most weeks to see the parents/grandparents. I think last week might have been my last go on Woodhead for a while though, visibility was awful and as passable as it is, it only takes one person to make a mistake and the road is closed - not ideal with a toddler. M62 for me for a few months.

Last year we nearly got stuck in Chatsworth when the first heavy snow came, which is why I think I'm doing a box this year. Little one was happy with milk from mummy then, but that won't work now, even if mummy is in the car.

The kitted out car is the family car so it's always off somewhere. I very much doubt I'd be organised enough to make a flask every time we went out, but with the stove we could get hot water if we needed it. I bet it's got no gas though!

personally i wudnt want the gas canister in the car is ther not another option

Since I tend to go to Scotland a fair bit and the Alps as well, I have.

2 sets of snowchains and spares

Iceaxe and snowshoes

Food and water, plus a stove

Down jacket and waterproofs

Flares

Radio

Sleeping bag (or blankets)

hi vis jacket (mainly becuase you have to have one on the Continent now in many places)

Folding shovel,

Grit,

Old carpet for shoving under wheels

An "in car" mobile - simple PAYG one for emergencies

Compass and maps

Torches and batteries and a whistle

Since I tend to go to Scotland a fair bit and the Alps as well, I have.

2 sets of snowchains and spares

Iceaxe and snowshoes

Food and water, plus a stove

Down jacket and waterproofs

Flares

Radio

Sleeping bag (or blankets)

hi vis jacket (mainly becuase you have to have one on the Continent now in many places)

Folding shovel,

Grit,

Old carpet for shoving under wheels

An "in car" mobile - simple PAYG one for emergencies

Compass and maps

Torches and batteries and a whistle

That's a fair old list. Much as I love Scotland, I doubt we'll be going up in winter again for a few years though.

I've no added 6 x small bottles of water, some fruit and nut mix and som chocolate. I think that'll do me for now - hopefully the chocolate will be a nice treat in the spring.

Archived