Hampton Road Sheffield 1930 - 1950's

dawnci1

Does anyone remember a Leonard Ernest born around 1923-26,

believed to have lived at "back of" 34, Hampton Road, Sheffield 5.

He was in the Grenadier Guards, during world war 2, and believed to have only lived in Hampton Road until his teens.

There was a Family at 36 called the Claxton's, not sure if they was his biological family, as the name he joined up with was "Smith" He is believed to have changed his name, due to a fall out with his father, but that name not known.

Can anyone please HELP. Has anyone still got family that may remember the street during the 1930's - 1950's

Please anyone, I would appreciate any help ;-)

this isnt going to be much help, but i was brought up on that road.. from 1960..........as far as i am aware there are only 2 people left on that road from the 50's....a coloured gentle man by the name of bernard.....N0. 13/15...and at number 19 there is another resident who has been there forever...buggered if i can recall his name, (shame on me , and i lived next door) My grandfather was the chimney sweep............at number 21 (Bailey)

this isnt going to be much help, but i was brought up on that road.. from 1960..........as far as i am aware there are only 2 people left on that road from the 50's....a coloured gentle man by the name of bernard.....N0. 13/15...and at number 19 there is another resident who has been there forever...buggered if i can recall his name, (shame on me , and i lived next door) My grandfather was the chimney sweep............at number 21 (Bailey)

Ooooooh at last lol, someone that actually lived there. Would it be at all possible that you may be able to get me some information, have you any family that may know? or do you still see the people that live in the road?

I am really desperate now lol, this is the first REAL lead I have had, just need someone to remember the Claxtons at no 36, and what was meant by "back of 34" Hampton Road? no one in the library seems to know, but someone that actually lived in the street may. All i know for certain is Leonard E joined up in the 2nd World War as Leonard Ernest Smith, was he born that, or was he born by another name. Nannie Claxton, is remembered also as she was visited in the late 40's, but not sure if she was a biological nan, or if they were just really close. As my mum said people had aunties and nans etc way back then, everyone was alot closer, due to the war.

Would you be able to find anything out pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, i'd be forever in your debt, this has been going on for 30+ years and still no closer. Thanks for the information, that is brilliant ;-) xxx

Hi, in 1950 one of my relatives lived at 34,Hampton Rd.Her name was Annie taylor.Also a Jack Grime possibly son in law of Annie lived at that address.I do not know about the 'back 'of Hampton Rd but will try and find some more info out.regards Max

Also in 1920 Samuel Ward ,traveller lived at 34,Hampton Rd and John William Stewart lived at 36.Although not at the back of .

I don't think you will get much imfomation from the residents on Hampton Road.They are mostly Asians or students.I haved lived there since the 1980's and am possibly one of the oldest occupants on the road.No34 is a large house and it's possible more than one family lived in it.

Ooooooh at last lol, someone that actually lived there. Would it be at all possible that you may be able to get me some information, have you any family that may know? or do you still see the people that live in the road?

I am really desperate now lol, this is the first REAL lead I have had, just need someone to remember the Claxtons at no 36, and what was meant by "back of 34" Hampton Road? no one in the library seems to know, but someone that actually lived in the street may. All i know for certain is Leonard E joined up in the 2nd World War as Leonard Ernest Smith, was he born that, or was he born by another name. Nannie Claxton, is remembered also as she was visited in the late 40's, but not sure if she was a biological nan, or if they were just really close. As my mum said people had aunties and nans etc way back then, everyone was alot closer, due to the war.

Would you be able to find anything out pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, i'd be forever in your debt, this has been going on for 30+ years and still no closer. Thanks for the information, that is brilliant ;-) xxx

Have you tried the electoral roll for that address.

what was meant by "back of 34" Hampton Road? no one in the library seems to know, but someone that actually lived in the street may. <snipped>

"back of number 34" could possibly mean that the properties were "Back-to-back" with one house facing the main road, and the other facing into the back-yard?

Also in 1920 Samuel Ward ,traveller lived at 34,Hampton Rd and John William Stewart lived at 36.Although not at the back of .

Thanx Max, that may be a big help love, Samuel Ward in 1920, ooooh the mind boggles lol. But Leonard E ???? was born around 1925, All i know for definate is the man used Smith has his surname when joining WW2, So was he born that? Cannot find anything to say who definately was his mother, all I have is the name Leonard Ernest Smith from his mc in 1946 to Baldwin, in Windsor Berkshire, that ties with him being in the Grenadier Guards 1st Batt support Corp at the time.

I really appreciate your help, does it state the ages of these 2 men?

Thanx Max ur a star, I cant believe I have had such a response ;-) x

I don't think you will get much imfomation from the residents on Hampton Road.They are mostly Asians or students.I haved lived there since the 1980's and am possibly one of the oldest occupants on the road.No34 is a large house and it's possible more than one family lived in it.

Hi, thanx for that, but someone posted earlier that there were 2 older people from the 50's or before live there, no 19 and for get without looking the other number lol, the memory isn't what is was lol.

Are these people not there?????

Do you know anyone, that may have info on old residents, the older ones remember everything, I can remember my Grandad telling me his life story b4 he died bless ;-) xx

Archived