Hampton Road Sheffield 1930 - 1950's

dawnci1

Have you tried the electoral roll for that address.

I have from the 30's, apparently, they weren't available for earlier, I know he was supposed to be there until joining up, but nothing on any records showing a Leonard Ernest, but i wasn't in the Sheffield Library at the time, but apparently the records dept, is closed until Jan.

So thought if i posted on here there maybe the chance of someone remembering, or they may have a older relative that they can ask about it,

Thanx for ur imput ;-) x

"back of number 34" could possibly mean that the properties were "Back-to-back" with one house facing the main road, and the other facing into the back-yard?

Thats an idea, thanx for that, when i looked at the records i just presumed they were next door, but someone has already said it was a large house, so makes sense ;-)

I know from RECORDS there was a Leonard E Claxton born in 1927, mothers maiden name Claxton. But also show a Leonard died in 1932 age 5, so this cant be the one. I was going with the Claxton name as my friend remembers visiting in the late 40's to see a "nannie Claxton" but were they family are just really close, way back then mum said people called aunts who wasn't etc, so drawing a blank there too, although i did get very excited when i saw the record until i saw the death cert ;-(

Thanx again, I appreciate any help ;-) x

Just a bit of Claxton information in case it is of any interest. The 1942 Kelly's Directory shows "William Claxton, pensioner" at 36 Hampton Road (and "John Grime, stamper" at No 34).

Going back to the 1911 census, only two "Sheffield" (i.e. not Ecclesall Bierlow) people are listed with the name William Claxton. They were father and son, born 1867 and 1896 and living at 3 Wincobank Avenue at that time. A William Claxton married a Jessie Smith in Sheffield in 1928. They evidently a son Walter, born 1929.

A Leonard Claxton (no middle name or initial given) was born in Sheffield in 1927, his mother's maiden name being given also as Claxton (and so possibly illegitimate - no Claxton-Claxton marriage is listed).

Just a bit of Claxton information in case it is of any interest. The 1942 Kelly's Directory shows "William Claxton, pensioner" at 36 Hampton Road (and "John Grime, stamper" at No 34).

Going back to the 1911 census, only two "Sheffield" (i.e. not Ecclesall Bierlow) people are listed with the name William Claxton. They were father and son, born 1867 and 1896 and living at 3 Wincobank Avenue at that time. A William Claxton married a Jessie Smith in Sheffield in 1928. They evidently a son Walter, born 1929.

A Leonard Claxton (no middle name or initial given) was born in Sheffield in 1927, his mother's maiden name being given also as Claxton (and so possibly illegitimate - no Claxton-Claxton marriage is listed).

Hi

Information always gladly recieved love, so thanx for that, did know about the top paragraph already.

But oooooh a big thank you for the info on the William's, is Wincobank quite close to Hampton Road do u know, cos had seen the address in a search i did, but wasn't sure if it was the same family, looks very promising, although a bit of bad news for ya, The Leonard that u found, MMN Claxton, there is also a death for 1932 age 5, same name, so think that maybe that birth, wot do u think?

If I can get any info from people that lived there, are remember names of people that lived there, we maybe able to search the Leonard with diff surnames. The William Claxton on Hampton Rd, no 36, was that junior or senior, do you know?

Oh im really excited now, this is the first time we have had such a good response COME ON Sheffield lol ;-) xx

[quote=hillsbro;6943014

A William Claxton married a Jessie Smith in Sheffield in 1928. They evidently a son Walter, born 1929.

Hi again just a quickie, how do u know about the Walter? is he also on the 1911 census?? I have searched until im blue in the face and never found anyone else lol, so was just wondering, so that would be a big plus if we can tie Leonard to Jessie & William, theres just some things not adding up, like wen he joined the Grenadier Guards, if he was born in 1927, he would only have been 12, so think i am missing something somewhere ....HELPPPPPPPPPP

Hi dawnci1 - yes, I saw the 1932 death late last night but was too knackered to continue posting! The Wincobank Avenue address is on the same side of Sheffield as Hampton Road, maybe a mile or so away. Walter Claxton's 1929 birth in Sheffield is in the index, with the mother's maiden name given as Smith.

I think it must be William Claxton senior who is listed in 1942, as he was a "pensioner" (perhaps military), though both may have shared the address. The 1925 directory shows "William Claxton, foreman" on Wheldrake Road (about halfway between Wincobank Avenue and Hampton Road). In the 1901 census the Claxtons were living in Rushby Street, in the same general area (this was William snr., wife Adelaide, both aged 33, and children William, Percy and Adelaide). William snr. Had married Adelaide Pitchford in 1893.

A Leonard Claxton was born in Sheffield in 1908. Perhaps a younger son of William snr., he may have been the Leonard Claxton who married Marjorie Rogers in Sheffield in 1929.

To identify Leonard Ernest we clearly need someone with personal memories of the people in Hampton Road, as there is a limit to what can be done with online resources. But you never know - and the Forum is a good way to find Sheffield people!

Someone pmd me with the name of the resisdent who lived at No 19....William Fairbourne.............tell ya what im gonna go there this afternoon and see if he is still there.....I know Bernard who lives further up the street is still aroound i may call on him as well..................not promising anything tho but i will try.

Hi dawnci1 - yes, I saw the 1932 death late last night but was too knackered to continue posting! The Wincobank Avenue address is on the same side of Sheffield as Hampton Road, maybe a mile or so away. Walter Claxton's 1929 birth in Sheffield is in the index, with the mother's maiden name given as Smith.

I think it must be William Claxton senior who is listed in 1942, as he was a "pensioner" (perhaps military), though both may have shared the address. The 1925 directory shows "William Claxton, foreman" on Wheldrake Road (about halfway between Wincobank Avenue and Hampton Road). In the 1901 census the Claxtons were living in Rushby Street, in the same general area (this was William snr., wife Adelaide, both aged 33, and children William, Percy and Adelaide). William snr. Had married Adelaide Pitchford in 1893.

A Leonard Claxton was born in Sheffield in 1908. Perhaps a younger son of William snr., he may have been the Leonard Claxton who married Marjorie Rogers in Sheffield in 1929.

To identify Leonard Ernest we clearly need someone with personal memories of the people in Hampton Road, as there is a limit to what can be done with online resources. But you never know - and the Forum is a good way to find Sheffield people!

Woo Hoo, we're on the move, I have also found War records, that have that have just been released to ancestry and its clear that my Leonard E is the one in there, as it states he was born in Sheffield and died in 2005, also on the cert it also states his permanent address as Gloucester, but im not sure if they are meaning that info as recently been sent to that address, as it just says C/O R.E.G Smith 207 Linden Road, Gloucester, dont know if the R.E.G is a army term, or if it is someone that is still living there, that has claimed his war records, so I knoe he died 2005 from this record and also that he was born around 1925 in Sheffield, but these records that we have still not making sense, think it is in there somewhere lol ;-) Thanks for all your help ;-)

1973 Dir.

Walter Claxton 16 Cliffe House Road Sheffield 5

Still in the phone book at this address.

Thanks for that Retep, we wasn't aware of Leonard having any siblings, but this looks very promising so thank you so much, Woo Hoo, I cant believe how much info we are gathering - at last thanx everyone ;-) xxx

Archived