Hampton Road Sheffield 1930 - 1950's

dawnci1

was your william claxton born circa 1897, if so he had 2 siblings percy and adelaide both of which are listed on genes reunited

Thanks Lobster, for your message, I have re-posted on here, so I have all the info in front of me, I get lost on the pages lol. Yes that is the William and I also found the 2 siblings 2, but both male, I have Percy, but forgot the other its posted on my ancestry so will check for you, think there was also a Arthur and a Ada, from checking directories, but these were all the children of William SNR and Adelaide.

I have also found, well looks like lol, Walter Claxton MMN Smith born 1929, so this could have been their son, but still trying to establish who was Jessie's husband William JNR OR William SNR, the mind boggles.

Really needing people to remember from the area, had a lot of help so far, but as Hillsbro said you can only search so far with records, people's memories are what we are needing ;-) xxxx

Thanx again i will check that site out also, you never know ;-) x

1973 Dir.

Walter Claxton 16 Cliffe House Road Sheffield 5

Still in the phone book at this address.

Hi retep

Sorry I must have missed your mess previously, when i saw ur mess, i thought phone number lol, so looked back on my messages, can you pm me the phone number plz, I haven't any phone books with me ;-) Thanx for reminding me, I could have missed this and vital, thanx again ;-) x

...the people living there

1929 - 30 36 Hampton Road

William Claxton

Jessie Claxton

Ada Claxton

Arthur Claxton

... think the William is actually the senior one....

Certainly, around 1930 this would be William snr.
...the marriage Claxton - Smith could have been William SNR..
Yes indeed, and if this were the case we might not have traced William jnr at all (apart from his death in 1966) unless you have evidence that he also lived at No 36.

In order to find Leonard Ernest we really need either confirmation of his birth surname or personal memories. Information from certificates would fill in a few details.

Certainly, around 1930 this would be William snr.Yes indeed, and if this were the case we might not have traced William jnr at all (apart from his death in 1966) unless you have evidence that he also lived at No 36.

In order to find Leonard Ernest we really need either confirmation of his birth surname or personal memories. Information from certificates would fill in a few details.

Listings Hillsbro

1929/30 & also 1930/31

William Claxton

Jessie Claxton

Ada Claxton

Arthur Claxton

1932/33

William Claxton

Jessie Claxton

Ada Claxton ( Looks like Ada married Frank Grewcock Dec Qtr 1933)

Harry Woolhouse

Leonard Walter Alcock

Ester Mabel Alcock

1938/39

William Claxton

Jessie Claxton

Harry Woolhouse

1939/40

William Claxton

Jessie Claxton

Harry Wheelhouse ( Woolhouse?)sic

Charles Darwent

Violet Darent

Oct 1945

Jessie Claxton

Florrie Claxton

Charles Darwent

Violet Darwent

1948/49

Jessie Claxton

Florrie Claxton

1951/52

Jessie Claxton

Florrie Claxton

Walter Claxton

John V Blandford

Barbara Blandford

Right everyone, my fingers are sore after that lol, but at least you all have the same info as me now, so the dates tien in for William SNR death too, so it may have been SNR that was father to Leonard, or were Jessie and William Grandparents, who he went back to visit, " nannie Claxton" would still make sense too. Or did Jessie have a son named Leonard before she married William, we know his dob, can be anything from 1925-27, we just need to try and find someone that knew the people on the street lol

Thank you everyone soooooooooooooooo much, i really appreciate all your help ;-) xx

Hi retep

Sorry I must have missed your mess previously, when i saw ur mess, i thought phone number lol, so looked back on my messages, can you pm me the phone number plz, I haven't any phone books with me ;-) Thanx for reminding me, I could have missed this and vital, thanx again ;-) x

Thanks for the phone number Lobster I will try that one now, oooooh u never know, all keep ur fingers crossed lol ;-) xx

Certainly, around 1930 this would be William snr.Yes indeed, and if this were the case we might not have traced William jnr at all (apart from his death in 1966) unless you have evidence that he also lived at No 36.

I dont tink we can know for definate, which William she married, without the MC. But the number for Walter is also very exciting as this was Jessie's son, to which ever William, but bugger me, no answer, ever felt like ur not supposed to find out lol.

I think we have confirmed who all the children are, but not sure which William is at these addresses, but at a guess i would say SNR. But then again, Kelly's Dir is showing 1944 William Claxton "pentioner" unless it meant young one with Army pension, but then again in 1945, there is NO William living in Hampton Road, so either he died in '44 when last showing the directory, or its wrong, as found his Death in the cemetrys also and that says 1942 too, like the dc ......................... Oh dear what a tangled web we weave lol ;-)

...Oh dear what a tangled web we weave...
Yes indeed. The 1944 directory would have been published in 1943 and maybe compiled a bit earlier, so this would explain William snr. still being listed in 1944. But now it may boil down to personal memories of local folk, details from certificates, or preferably both!.:)

Yes indeed. The 1944 directory would have been published in 1943 and maybe compiled a bit earlier, so this would explain William snr. still being listed in 1944. But now it may boil down to personal memories of local folk, details from certificates, or preferably both!.:)

Awe that would explain that one then, I am just in the process of changing all my tree around to William Snr been Jessies husband lol, I feel that is the right track, and maybe i will get some hints lol, or maybe a fairy will wave her magic wand and give us all the answers lol, Thanks again Hillsbro ;-)x

Hi Dawn,

I suppose you already have these burials:

Clanton, William (Labourer, age 67).

Died at Ecclesall Union; Buried on April 4, 1912 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 17037, Section DD1 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

CLAXTON, Mary Ann (widow, age 74).

Died at Union Hospital; Buried on July 11, 1914 in Consecrated ground;

CLAXTON, William (Labourer, age 74).

Died at 2 Herries Rd; Buried on March 2, 1942 in Consecrated ground;

Regards,

Duffems

Thanks Duffems

Yes, saw these earlier, I think the top one may have been our William Snr's dad, the bottom one being the one we are now researching, god i have been on this hours, Thank you everyone you have all been soooooooooooo helpful ;-)

Hope the phone number brings us some luck I will keep you all posted ;-0

Did you get anywhere with Walters phone number.

Hi i did try to ring a couple of times, early evening, and i mean early, i dont want to frighten them, with them being elderly, so decided to try in the morning, fingers crossed we may know a little more tomorrow ;-0 xx

Archived