Is it right that you can be threatened with the sack, due to snow

After moving from public to private sector, I have asked my employer what the procedures and protocols are when it snows

he said " you come into work"

I asked him what he thought about health and safety, injuries etc....

he said "you come into work, or you don't get paid"

I asked how am I supposed to live without money

he said "not my problem, ultimatly, if you don't come into work due to the snow then I sack you, simple as..."

what sort of attitude is that? are we moving back into victorian times wityh employment right ?????s:help:

getting ths sack just because it snow, what about peoples safety:huh:

Presumably you can use a day's annual leave if you can't get in?

As I've indicated in a previous post on a similar thread, if employers had a more lenient attitude ('it's ok not to come in if it snows, but you'll still get paid') no-one would bother turning up!

Oh and btw, you're paid to do a job because, seeing as you work in the private sector, you (in your own small way) contribute to making money for the company. If you're not working, you're not making money. Why should your boss pay you?

as i see it if you DONT go in you DONT get paid, the rest is immaterial, i managed to get in every time its snowed in the past 5 and a half years on buses even tho mines the most difficult journey, people in cars who live closer and easier havent.

addmittedly ive got in late but i have got in.

some people DO take the **** when it snows tho

edit:- its a good few inches here now and snowing like hell again, the kids schools shut and we cant take the dog to the vets, luckily im on holiday from work anyway :)

Unions lost their power after thatcher they never got it back. You have been molly codled by the public sector who by using archaic practices on things like this and sick leave have priced themselves out of the competative market. They have gone down the plug hole and suddenly you find yourself in the real world! You have no choice but on the brighter side you could always try sueing the company should their practices be against the law and injure you.

Archived