Is it right that you can be threatened with the sack, due to snow

if whats a regular occurance?

not turning up for work?

Precisely. I don't think you can legally be fired on the very first day that you fail to turn up; you almost certainly will be fired if you keep not turning up on a regular basis. "It was snowing!" is not a legitimate excuse, unless you really are snowed in by 10-foot drifts on the road.

After moving from public to private sector, I have asked my employer what the procedures and protocols are when it snows

he said " you come into work"

I asked him what he thought about health and safety, injuries etc....

he said "you come into work, or you don't get paid"

I asked how am I supposed to live without money

he said "not my problem, ultimatly, if you don't come into work due to the snow then I sack you, simple as..."

what sort of attitude is that? are we moving back into victorian times wityh employment right ?????s:help:

getting ths sack just because it snow, what about peoples safety:huh:

welcome to the real world now you have moved on from the safety of the public sector cocoon. how do you think other people go on when it snows, it affects many sub-contract workers who either cant work because they cant get to work,cant work because the weather conditions wont allow them to work? grin and bear it and be thankfull you have a job :thumbsup:

welcome to the real world now you have moved on from the safety of the public sector cocoon. how do you think other people go on when it snows, it affects many sub-contract workers who either cant work because they cant get to work,cant work because the weather conditions wont allow them to work? grin and bear it and be thankfull you have a job :thumbsup:
Do you think working in the public sector entitles you to just have time off when it snows?

Unions lost their power after thatcher they never got it back. You have been molly codled by the public sector who by using archaic practices on things like this and sick leave have priced themselves out of the competative market. They have gone down the plug hole and suddenly you find yourself in the real world! You have no choice but on the brighter side you could always try sueing the company should their practices be against the law and injure you.

I work in the public sector and we all have to go to work when it snows too, or take a days leave or no pay.

Dunno where the OP worked in the public sector but I know people in the private sector that have much more lax snow policies. My parter in the private sector can just have the day off for free if there is no public transport running!

I think it's a fair policy. You won't get sacked if you legitimately can't get to work, just phone up at the earliest opportunity and arrange to use up a days leave.

It's also very unlikely that you wouldn't be able to get to work for weeks on end so even if you have to take a day without pay you're hardly going to starve to death.

Precisely. I don't think you can legally be fired on the very first day that you fail to turn up; you almost certainly will be fired if you keep not turning up on a regular basis. "It was snowing!" is not a legitimate excuse, unless you really are snowed in by 10-foot drifts on the road.

If everyone else has managed to get in then maybe even ten foot drifts aren't a valid excuse either.. :)

You should try being self employed.

I'm looking at alternative car options, as where I live as soon as it snows people line the bottom of my road with cars, people with no clue how to drive turn our road to ice, and this is not a good combination for a 200bhp rwd coupe.

Quite simply, I don't work, I don't get paid.

Archived