Which industries would you re-nationalise?

I've heard on the news this morning that during recent price hikes, energy companies have increased their profit margins by 38%, which sort of blows out of the water the 'increase in wholesale prices' as the sole reason for putting prices up.

Yup, I know, we shouldn't be surprised we're being ripped off. I think these companies are taking the pee pee now.

I'm normally a free market capitalist thinking kind of person, but there is definately a case for re-nationalising utilities imo.

Any other industries you would re-nationalise or care to comment on the above? :)

Not that they were nationalised before, but the pharmaceutical industry.

We have top world class universities with students doing hypothetical research (or sponsored), and the drug companies who charge unbelievable prices for drugs based on R&D costs.

I definitely think there is a case to renationalise some 'core' industries where the free market has completely failed.

I'd nationalise all utilities (water, gas, electricity), as the difference between wholesale costs and the price we pay is getting silly. When one company puts up prices the rest follow and we are now at the mercy of Russia and France who controls most of our energy supply. I would also charge people a fixed amount a year to keep their house at 18 degrees for example which would stop people dying when they can't afford to turn on the heating and provide an incentive to insulate properly.

I'd renationalise the trains and buses, allowing them to do what they should be doing in terms of providing a service to allow people to get to work, rather than simple focusing on routes that makes a profit. We now pay more in subsidy than we did to run British Rail.

I think I'd leave it there however, as I think there is a case that the market has pushed up quality and choice in some other areas. However once you sell off industry as Thatcher did, the capital investment needed to renationalise it probably isn't affordable.

mmm, transportation! I can eat for three days for the same it costs me to catch the bus to town and back (£4.30). (worked out on a fortnightly budget!)

Do you know how pathetic I feel to ring up about jobs and such, to say, well I have to fit you in on 'this' day, because I can't afford to get to the city centre.

Then when you'll probably work a month in hand, how am I to afford travel costs for that?

mmm, transportation! I can eat for three days for the same it costs me to catch the bus to town and back (£4.30). (worked out on a fortnightly budget!)

Do you know how pathetic I feel to ring up about jobs and such, to say, well I have to fit you in on 'this' day, because I can't afford to get to the city centre.

Then when you'll probably work a month in hand, how am I to afford travel costs for that?

Sheffield had an excellent affordable bus service and then it was ruined.

Amazingly people used to moan that it was not fair subsidising the buses.

Now we have more traffic on the roads causing congestion and polution plus a poorer bus service.

I agree with transport. Everytime they put prices up, they always say it's to re-invest in the infrastructure or invest in new rolling stock or new busses etc, but they still carry on delivering the same poor service.

I am just glad I don't have to travel into London ever day, by train. What a nightmare.

TBH, the bus service is regular enough, and there's always enough empty seats (I wonder why) other than at peak times when there aren't either.

I did a quick calculation once, that the bus companies make enough money just in the morning (considering most people buy returns or savers), that it's ok to run the buses for the rest of the day practicably empty.

I remember as a kid I used to pay 2p fare...

Archived