Outdoor PE in cold weather

I'm a secondary school PE teacher and when the OP was started I had been outside with my groups for a bit of hockey. I did have some complaints from the kids to start off with, but once they got out there running about they were fine. I always tell them that the only reason we would not go outside is if it is raining (as our courts get flooded) or snowing. So obviously today we have not been outside... although they did all want to go out and have snowball fights. A bit of cold doesn't hurt them, they soon warm up.

Do your kids play outside in the snow or even when it is cold. There is nothing wrong with this. The school would be very cautious also. They would not want to be in danger of compensation hunters suing them. We played soccer in the freezing cold then straight into hot showers. Cross country running even in the snow. Today schools have gone soft because parents soon find something to moan about. Kids love play either in the cold or sun. Maybe you have forgotten what it is like to be a child.

Do you think schools should take parents views into consideration when deciding if it is too cold?

No-what do parents know about the issue;many profess to dislike cold weather and energetic forms of exercise.Exercise has helped man evolve;recent technology has enabled obesity to become an epidemic.I think this is a real challenge and I am sure that the teachers make an effort to present the children with a valid challenge.

I bet there are many Newfield Girls from the 1960's who will remember playing hockey on the sports oval wearing only the bottle green knickers we had to wear & an equally horrible bottlegreen T shirt. Didnt matter if it was snowing or not out we went in our knickers & T shirts. It was so painful if you got a hit from a hockey stick on the leg or ankle when it was so cold. We used to get "hotaches"

I have often thought about this in my ....senior years & wonder if it still applies but obviously there is now a better sports uniform.

Whats the saying"we wre tough in those days, we used to eat quiche"

We must have been tough or brutalised by todays standards.

• 8 years later...

From experience, I loved to do pe, but I’m winter it’s extremely cold and harsh even when there’s perfect indoor pe halls they still took us outside when it was raining with hail force wind in -1 weather I don’t think it should be aloud as I couldn’t even move my fingers to get changed after and id be late for next lesson 

From experience, I loved to do pe, but I’m winter it’s extremely cold and harsh even when there’s perfect indoor pe halls they still took us outside when it was raining with hail force wind in -1 weather I don’t think it should be aloud as I couldn’t even move my fingers to get changed after and id be late for next lesson 

in the 50s we had to go out in Ringinglow to do it in shorts and t shirt.  Having said that we did not have central heating in the same way as today's young do and certainly not at home.  I even recall wearing our coats in class due to having no heating on in winter - no sending us home. 

On 26 November 2010 at 11:56 AM, Stockers said:

If its a PE (physical education) the kids should be running round being active and warm enough.

That's a fair point!

If you are excercising, you should be warmer than if you were standing around smoking in the playground, even if wearing gym kit.