Outdoor PE in cold weather

2 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

The member did only say 'not enough exercise' though. Almost certainly the bold is the case, but that doesn't mean they get used [/as much]. In middle school, I recall the indoor equipment consisted of a load of mats (that I seem to remember were a bit manky) - and some plastic light footballs. I think there was an old wooden vault-horse thing, that was quite frankly nothing short of terrifying.

I bet school equipment now is far better than this!

I believe I was quoting someone who said that changing rooms and showers were no longer available wasn't I?

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I believe I was quoting someone who said that changing rooms and showers were no longer available wasn't I?

I read it under this bit:

very true, there is not enough physical education in schools now probably one reason why kids are so overweight? [...]

which I thought you were saying better equipped now...

I see what you mean, I didn't bother with the changing and showering facilities, as I didn't see the link to not enough PE in school

Edited by *_ash_*

12 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I've no idea how you've concluded that.

Are you blaming the state of the nations health entirely on your perception of PE?

not entirely, but given the title of the thread, it's worth acknowledging it as a factor.

(that we way we 'teach' PE in school, is often teaching kids that exercise is something to be avoided)

there's evidence for it : https://www.mdx.ac.uk/news/2017/09/report-finds-negative-experiences-of-pe-can-put-people-off-exercise-for-life

https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/pe-lessons-put-girls-off-exercise/

so, i've come to this conclusion, by reading the evidence - i know, it's a crazy way to approach life.

Edited by ads36

I've not read the whole thread (there's far too much of it!), but what's the old saying?  "There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing".

As people have said, if you're doing a physical activity it creates warmth.  It's not like they are out on a mountain somewhere, if it gets too much they can go back inside (the teacher should be monitoring this, surely).

ads36, I think that's a really good point about teaching people exercise is something to be avoided.  I believe it's something we should incorporate into everyday life, and not always see it as a "special" thing.  I'm quite passionate about using 'exercise' as a means of maintaining general health - there's so much evidence to show it has a positive effect.

My favourite quote this past year has been "if physical activity was a pill, we'd all be taking it", but I can't remember who to credit that to!

10 minutes ago, Becky B said:

I believe it's something we should incorporate into everyday life, and not always see it as a "special" thing. 

Not driving kids to school would be a start! 

A friend of mine lives in Wentworth and drives her daughter to school in Wath. That's fair enough as it's six miles away on country roads with no footpaths, but most kids in Sheffield live less than a mile from their primary school and are still driven there and picked up again.  :o

21 hours ago, ads36 said:

not entirely, but given the title of the thread, it's worth acknowledging it as a factor.

(that we way we 'teach' PE in school, is often teaching kids that exercise is something to be avoided)

there's evidence for it : https://www.mdx.ac.uk/news/2017/09/report-finds-negative-experiences-of-pe-can-put-people-off-exercise-for-life

https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/pe-lessons-put-girls-off-exercise/

so, i've come to this conclusion, by reading the evidence - i know, it's a crazy way to approach life.

The first article (just looking at the title) says "negative experiences can put people off".  It doesn't say "children all experience negative experiences in PE and ARE put off".

The second link I'll take a look at, but it'll be quick, gotta cycle in the rain to work...

The report found that only 12% of girls aged 14 get enough physical activity each week – roughly half the number of boys at the same age. The report found that girls do want to be active, take part in physical activity and remain healthy, but the researchers attribute the lack of participation to girls feeling they don’t have a suitable outlet.

Furthermore, it found that girls are concerned with having some choice in the activity available, having fun, being with friends and enjoying sport rather than competing and representing their school. Girls also see some aspects of being sporty as unfeminine.

The report found that girls also perceive more barriers to being active than boys and that the barriers increasingly include body image issues as they get older. Additional barriers reported include a lack of family support, insufficient choice of activity, a feeling that only the talented are encouraged and fewer role models for girls.

So reading that, it doesn't say anything about PE being a problem, nor are girls put off by the rain or the cold...

It probably helps if you read the links you find when searching for evidence to support a point of view you've already decided on :D

10 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not driving kids to school would be a start! 

A friend of mine lives in Wentworth and drives her daughter to school in Wath. That's fair enough as it's six miles away on country roads with no footpaths, but most kids in Sheffield live less than a mile from their primary school and are still driven there and picked up again.  :o

That’s because a lot of parents have to drop kids off and then go to work.

If you walk the kids to school for a mile, then you have to walk home, then go to work, which makes no sense and takes too much time.

its easy to generalise and then criticise...