Outdoor PE in cold weather

Bar it become sub-arctic temperatures, I don't see a problem with kids (especially secondary school age) doing PE in the cold. Part of the point of PE is that you're going to be running about and doing exercise - that in itself should keep you warm.

When I was at secondary school about a decade ago, we were allowed/encouraged to bring in a sweater for the colder PE days. Aside from that, it was polo top and shorts, and we were all fine.

we did cross country in all weathers back in the 60s-70s...we was hard as nails then

Different generation.

Me too. I can remember not liking it at all, but cant remember thinking it was cruel. Just something I didnt want to do, but wouldn't have dreamt of arguing about it.

I think its character building. Kids need to toughen up.

Actually, we didn't play hockey outdoors when we were 5, we went to an outdoor swimming pool instead. I think that would be outlawed on health and safety grounds these days.

yes we also did that..whent to longley park swimming pool..it was open air...and in the winter/summer the teachers locked all the doors so we could not return to our class rooms until break was over.....:hihi::hihi:

Do you think schools should take parents views into consideration when deciding if it is too cold?

No because if they did that they would spend far too much time consulting parents and wouldn't have time to get the job done. They have a mandate to govern the school.

If you want to influence then you can always consider becoming a school governor.

my sons school are the same he is only 5 and suffers with pnumonia in winter i think for kids this age let them do it indoors in extreme temperatures my daughter does cross country whatever the weather in shorts and tshirt i think they should change this to a tracksuit too x