Passive smoking kills 600,000. Thank goodness for our smoke free workplaces

i was brought up from birth till 18 with BOTH parents heavy smoking in the house, im not dead yet

errrrrrrrrm i think *checks*

So was I, but I'm a survivor of cancer of the larynx. I still don't believe outside smoking is that harmful at a distance, I haven't smoked for 11 years, but I think a person has a right to smoke at home or in his car, as long as he is not endangering anyone else.

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 13:31 ----------

None smokers need to understand smokers, they are not scared of the health implications, they will keep on forking out money for cigs, they don't believe that it hurts them so how can their smoke hurt someone else?

After nearly 50 years of smoking I gave up primarily because that volcanic cloud stopped me from getting my next 6 months supply for half of the UK price. Another factor was being made to look a dick head by having to smoke in stupid designated areas.

Having now been cigarette free for seven months I can now understand many of the points made by none smokers, however I do find passive smoking quite therapeutic. The white walls in our house are still white, my car doesn't smell like an ashtray, and I am a lot fitter, I'm very much looking forward to the day when breathing passive smoke upsets me.

This is very close to my own situation. I began smoking at 13, and am now 81. I got throat cancer years ago and was saved by radiation therapy. I slipped back into smoking. The old story, ask my pal for just one, and pretty soon its a pack a day. I tried Nicorette gum, which merely moved the craving to another source. Finally I got the courage to go cold turkey as I now had emphysema. It's been years now and nary a quick and dirty drag. At nine bucks a pack, I couldn't afford them anyway. Seven months is a good start, but keep away from smoking friends who would like you back in the throng. The time will come when the smell of them will bother you, that's the time you know you've beaten them and can walk past the smokers outside at the airport without worrying about how long you're in the air. Best of luck.

Archived