Passive smoking kills 600,000. Thank goodness for our smoke free workplaces

Banning smoking in pubs wasn't such a good move.All it did was to make people stay at home and smoke.

Correction - some people. And if anyone is cutting off their nose to spite their face because they can't wait for a fag then that's their loss.

The pubs I frequent have never been busier.

Another load of unmitigated tosh from the anti-smoking Nazis. They even admit themselves that the study is totally flawed:

"However, the researchers said were limitations to the study, including uncertainties about the underlying health data and gaps in the data relating to exposure to second-hand smoke."

If the research had been done on anything other than passive smoking, it would have been dismissed as nonsense - and rightly so.

Lol, suddenly it would extend life by 10 years. I was thinking an independant study though.

UN funded research is probably as independent as you can get, research has too be funded by someone who usually wants some sort of return for their investment.

So who should we believe here? The World Health Organisation with its qualified researchers and years of studies in dozens of countries or a Sheffield Forum member with no medical knowledge and no studies to back up claims?

Tough choice that one.:huh::huh:

Use your sense. Smoking kills older people, not children. How many children die of any smoking related illness? Even the children that smoke heavily themselves don't tend to start dying from it until they're over 40.

'Study used estimates' is researcher speak for 'We made the whole thing up'.

“Two thirds of these deaths occur in Africa and south Asia,” the authors write. “Children’s exposure to second-hand smoke most likely happens at home. The combination of infectious diseases and tobacco seems to be a deadly combination for children in these regions and might hamper the efforts to reduce the mortality rate for those aged younger than five years as sought by Millennium Development Goal 4.”

It looks like they're now saying that infectious diseases are caused by passive smoking. Presumably anybody that died from any infectious disease is included in the figures.

Apparently most of these child passive smoking deaths are under 5 years old & live in poor countries.

Correction - some people. And if anyone is cutting off their nose to spite their face because they can't wait for a fag then that's their loss.

The pubs I frequent have never been busier.

Correction. More people are smoking in their homes due to cheap supermarket drinks,and the smoking ban in pubs.

I also live in a area where my watering holes are busy.

Archived