Passive smoking kills 600,000. Thank goodness for our smoke free workplaces

I see the pro-smoking lobby have gatecrashed the thread to spout their rubbish that passive smoking is healthy. Get real, if you want to smoke, do it away from everyone else, especially children, and stop being so selfish.

Yeah! and anyone who wants to drive big gas-guzzlers,or feed their kids salty,fatty grub,please join those nasty smokers.

I see the pro-smoking lobby have gatecrashed the thread to spout their rubbish that passive smoking is healthy. Get real, if you want to smoke, do it away from everyone else, especially children, and stop being so selfish.

Give over, nobody has said it's healthy or it's ok to smoke in front of kids.

It looks like they're now saying that infectious diseases are caused by passive smoking. Presumably anybody that died from any infectious disease is included in the figures.

Apparently most of these child passive smoking deaths are under 5 years old & live in poor countries.

No, you are wrong. Maybe you should read the link before commenting?

The study, in 192 countries, found that passive smoking is particularly dangerous for children, said to be at higher risk of sudden infant death syndrome, pneumonia and asthma.

People aren't being pro-smoking, they are simply querying the report, which is full of holes.

For one thing, the data they were studying dates from 2004, so it's already 6 years out of date. Secondly, the 600,000 is just a guess which has no basis in fact.

Are people so thick that they beleive everything they are told by the anti-smoking lobby?

My bold

Yes, absolutely! As long as it supports their anti-smoking hysteria, they don't care how inaccurate it is or how full of holes the methodology was.

I'm concerned that a lot of smokers on here go to great lengths to justify their habit, denying that passive smoking causes any harm and assume the world is out to get them. When in reality the main reason they are smoking is because they are addicted.

"The mix of infectious diseases and second-hand smoke is a deadly combination," Mr Peruga said.

it is passive smoking bringing out the worst in other infectious diseases which probably isn't so obvious in the UK, but has a big effect in places like Africa.

BTW I have no problem with people smoking, its a free world. Just not in front of others.

I'm concerned that a lot of smokers on here go to great lengths to justify their habit, denying that passive smoking causes any harm and assume the world is out to get them. When in reality the main reason they are smoking is because they are addicted.

it is passive smoking bringing out the worst in other infectious diseases which probably isn't so obvious in the UK, but has a big effect in places like Africa.

BTW I have no problem with people smoking, its a free world. Just not in front of others.

So how many of those 600,000 people would have lived (ie survived their infectious disease) had it not been for the passive smoking?

i was brought up from birth till 18 with BOTH parents heavy smoking in the house, im not dead yet

errrrrrrrrm i think *checks*

Isn't it odd that no dead folks actually come on to the forum to say they died from 2nd hand smoke? Why do you think that is?

Nobody here has said passive smoking is healthy or tried to justify anything. We've just questioned the data. I think blaming passive smoking for infectious diseases is a long stretch.

You're the only person who has blamed passive smoking for infectious diseases. Maybe you should read the link again? From the link.

The mix of infectious diseases and second-hand smoke is a deadly combination," Mr Peruga said.

Banning smoking in pubs wasn't such a good move.All it did was to make people stay at home and smoke.

No it just made a few smokers stay at home and poison their own families. Of course the converse is also true. Many folks now go to smoke free pubs to get away from family homes that are poisoned by smokers in the family.

I think its called swings and roundabouts.

Archived