99% say Get out of Europe. What do you think?

Couldn't agree more. Look how everything that's gone wrong in Zimbabwe is always Britains fault. Soon as they're given independance, they're masters of their own future.

IMO, we should have intervened in Zimbabwe seeing as white Britons were getting hacked to death by Mugabe's thugs.

x

Couldn't agree more. Look how everything that's gone wrong in Zimbabwe is always Britains fault. Soon as they're given independance, they're masters of their own future.

So the philosophy is "okay you lot. you've got what you want. Now wer're outta her"

Most of todays festering conflicts can be traced to colonial era meddling, either through partition, slicing and dicing the planet as they saw fit or, worse

indiscriminately corralling unrelated ethnic groups into a single, quarrelsome country.

So the philosophy is "okay you lot. you've got what you want. Now wer're outta her"

Most of todays festering conflicts can be traced to colonial era meddling, either through partition, slicing and dicing the planet as they saw fit or, worse

indiscriminately corralling unrelated ethnic groups into a single, quarrelsome country.

What do you suggest, re-colonise them again?

Split the countries up so instead of internal conflicts we can have more cross border confrontations backed by governments that can more easily arm themselves?

I disagree, I'd trace the conflicts to the cold war era, with both the Soviets and the Americans backing various unsavoury characters on the basis that they were anti Soviet/American. They both plotted and overthrew governments who were friendly to their cold war opponents, and destabilised whole regions whist millions suffered in their proxy wars.

It'll be interesting to see how independence would have gone if the countries were allowed to develop after gaining independence unhindered.

I disagree, I'd trace the conflicts to the cold war era, with both the Soviets and the Americans backing various unsavoury characters on the basis that they were anti Soviet/American. They both plotted and overthrew governments who were friendly to their cold war opponents, and destabilised whole regions whist millions suffered in their proxy wars.

It'll be interesting to see how independence would have gone if the countries were allowed to develop after gaining independence unhindered.

Yes but my opinions concerned countries and governments that were not used as pawns in the cold war. Sri Lanka, the Sudan, Israel/Palestine, Somalia and Nigeria. All with problems unrelated to the cold war and which are still with us today.

That has nothing to do the countries of Africa and many other colonised places which were backward when colonised.

Has Canada, Australia, New Zealand gone down the pan since independence?

There is a common denominator in the countries that have gone down the pan since independence, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out what that is.

[/b]

Not quite so. Iraq is a concoction created during Britain's colonial days and policies of slicing and dicing large parts of the world as they saw fit.

Modern Iraq was the result of combining three Ottoman states, Baghdad, Basra and Mosul and then after the revolution in 1958 the colonials moved out and left this unholy combination to fester along with all the ethnic hatreds and cultural differences. A country like that was never bound to work or identify with a feeling of unity and cohesion.

I'll name several other modern day trouble spots still festering from the days of empire. Sri Lanka, India/Pakistan, Sudan, Israel/Palestine, Somalia and Nigeria

Only fair that Britain share some of the responsibilities of trying to sort out the mess that the past governments created.

Seems to me that you're saying that the people of those former colonies are some form of substandard species who aren't fit or capable of sorting out their own problems.

IMO, we should have intervened in Zimbabwe seeing as white Britons were getting hacked to death by Mugabe's thugs.

x

Mugabe is no different to most of the African leaders who took power after independence, that is why we're throwing good money after bad in foreign aid year on year.

[/b]Only fair that Britain share some of the responsibilities of trying to sort out the mess that the past governments created.

This is what the working man of Sheffield gained from the colonies.

This picture is from the turn of the century Sheffield when the british Empire was at its peak. Does this look like we owe them anything?

2ylocwh.jpg

Let those who gained from the empire take responsibility, until I get my families share I'm not interested.

Archived