99% say Get out of Europe. What do you think?

Governments/countries don't have friends, they have interests. For a long time the UK and the USA have shared the same interests, so it makes sense for us to be allies.

The shared interests these days extend to the whole of Europe including Russia as Islamic terrorism is now the common threat

I'm a little torn on this question. I really think that the UK needs to be in Europe as - despite popular oppinion - we are a small country in a big world. If we want to have any influence in the world then we need to be part of a power block. I would just like Europe to be a little less half assed. How the hell did they ever expect to get a common currency to work without a common economic policy!?!?

They're also people who have don't have to worry about Britain's future.;)

Not for ourselves perhaps but we, the over 60s, worry much more about our grandchildren's future than they do.

We have witnessed and in many cases experienced the full spectrum of misery carelessly inflicted by politicians of all colours.

European monetary union has failed and the dream of political union will follow the same path.

I can understand why people say "out", and some of these people aren't necessarily Euro-skeptic. You might oppose the current model on democratic grounds, for example, but support the idea of a union in principle. That's my inclination at least.

The question in my mind is not whether we should join a European union, rather how representative the current model is of the European people's interests and whether it has the potential to corrupt.

I'm a little torn on this question. I really think that the UK needs to be in Europe as - despite popular oppinion - we are a small country in a big world. If we want to have any influence in the world then we need to be part of a power block. I would just like Europe to be a little less half assed. How the hell did they ever expect to get a common currency to work without a common economic policy!?!?

But the EU doesn't yet have a common foreign policy. It's only just got a dedicated 'Foreign Minister' afaik (the British lady?).

How can we influence the rest of the world when as individual countries we have different foreign policy objectives and often disagree on foreign policy matters?

This is another reason why we should not move to closer integration.

But the EU doesn't yet have a common foreign policy. It's only just got a dedicated 'Foreign Minister' afaik (the British lady?).

How can we influence the rest of the world when as individual countries we have different foreign policy objectives and often disagree on foreign policy matters?

This is another reason why we should not move to closer integration.

I wouldn't agree that you need a common foreign policy to have an influence. The mere fact that you're a member of a power block is going to get more people to pay attention to you than if you are some has-been world power with delusions of grandeur.

They're also people who have don't have to worry about Britain's future.;)

Or, maybe they worry more about Britain's future (having children/ grandchildren)?

He sees a potential threat too to what's available in British shops such as French wine and Italian cheeses. "

I'm pretty certain we could buy French wine and Italian cheeses before 1972:confused:

Islamic terrorism is now the common threat

Made 100% worse since the illegal invasion of Iraq:|

I'd support a referendum on maintaining our membership of the EU if all the national papers were banned from any sort of comment or opinion on the subject. Unfortunately, we have a national press dominated by Murdoch and ably supported by The Telegraph, The Mail and The Express all of which espouse withdrawal from the EU. Unless we can find a balanced media to put the alternate view any referendum would be a mockery of democracy.

My own opinion is that we should stay in the EU for the simple reason that we haven't been plunged into a world wide war since its inception. Coincidence? I'd rather not take the chance.

I wouldn't agree that you need a common foreign policy to have an influence. The mere fact that you're a member of a power block is going to get more people to pay attention to you than if you are some has-been world power with delusions of grandeur.

A 'power block' that is divided will have no power at all.

Archived