SWD apprentice joiners-- site practice, salmon pastures

flightliner

I went to Salmon Pastures College “apprentice carpenter” around 1969. Back then it was all under one roof.

I was a student myself at the old pond street college but I never went down to "Salmon" for any of my studies. I know that a lot of students in the seventies and eighties did thier site practice training there round the back on some "spare land" when the site was taken over by Shirecliffe college as an annex, I was wondering if any of them could relate some of thier memories of the time they spent down there.

By the way coyleys some of the lecturers names at the time were Duckenfield, brown, white,--- remember them?:confused::)

Hi I went to shirecliffe collage as a apprentice joiner swd.early 70s and we went to salmon pastures for practical remember building house inside old school all trades worked on them.used to go to wasford bridge pub dinner time pint and chip buttie.one of the lecturers was in to canoeing and we got him to bring some canoes and had a go in the don at side of school.The don was a lot more polluted than it is today.

Went to Shirecliffe 69/70 on 6 weeks (block)release,was working at the central works depot on Worthing road not far from Salmon Pastures.Remember making workmen's caravans for the council for building sites.Freezing my brass monkey's off January,February,but what a laugh,all that and came home with £3-10p.Remember fat Pete who worked in site office,have been told he's dead now and Pete Heathcote he was only just out of apprenticeship at the time,he's now in charge of Bramall lane branch last i heard.

Hi I went to shirecliffe collage as a apprentice joiner swd.early 70s and we went to salmon pastures for practical remember building house inside old school all trades worked on them.used to go to wasford bridge pub dinner time pint and chip buttie.one of the lecturers was in to canoeing and we got him to bring some canoes and had a go in the don at side of school.The don was a lot more polluted than it is today.

Some of the work done down there by the SWD lads was really impressive, full size houses, all done out by all trades (sorry but they were knocked down to make room for another).Lots of traditional roofing work,formwork to concrete,shoring,stud framing, first and second fix etx etx all good stuff.

Cliffsharkey-- the lecturer with the caneos was called George Gregory- lovely guy. I heard that one time a student went down the Don in a coffin that had been made years ago and was not needed any more and had been thrown onto a skip-- well-- lads will be lads I suppose.

Archived