Smoking establishments - Debate, not abuse.

In view of the heated discussions on this forum regarding smoking in / outside pubs, I wondered whether people care to genuinely debate this subject without resorting to abuse.

I believe that if the law were changed to allow smoking public house type establishments (possibly a limited number in each area which could easily be inspected),

it would be better for both smokers & non-smokers who would never need to to come into contact with each other.

The place which used to be my favourite pub had a landlord & landlady who both smoked.

They employed 2 barmaids who both smoked. The landlord owned the pub and was willing to make it a private club but was not allowed by the smoking laws.

He was therefore, stopped from smoking in his own establishment and has now left the trade.

Is there any good reason why a limited number of smoking establishments with good air extraction / air con systems, should not be allowed to open

so that the smokers would have somewhere to go, where they would not be causing a nuisance to non-smokers?

These establishments would be regularly inspected by H & S and would only employ smokers to run them / work in them.

This would end the situation where non-smokers in normal pubs, may want to sit outside in summer without the nuisance of cigarette smoke

and a complete smoking ban would operate within a hundred yards either direction of these pubs.

Smokers well know that there is some risk attached to smoking and any staff employed (who would also be smokers) would have to read & sign a document to the effect that:

they had been informed of the possible risks and that, as a smoker already, they worked there of their own accord and at their own risk.

Many people do many different things in life which carry risks - some of them, more so than smoking - for instance, people go mountaineering, motor racing, boxing etc.

Many people such as the obese, those on terrible diets and those who never exercise at all, take great risks with their health as do smokers.

This should set the ball rolling for a sensible debate - not an opportunity for both sides to spout vitriol at each other.

Would this idea work and be an improvement on the present situation and does anyone have further ideas to make it even better?

Are you against it and if so why? - the fact that you simply don't like it through predjudice/bias is not a good reason to be against it.

Lets have some well thought out opinions.

In view of the heated discussions on this forum regarding smoking in / outside pubs, I wondered whether people care to genuinely debate this subject without resorting to abuse.

I believe that if the law were changed to allow smoking public house type establishments (possibly a limited number in each area which could easily be inspected),

it would be better for both smokers & non-smokers who would never need to to come into contact with each other.

The place which used to be my favourite pub had a landlord & landlady who both smoked.

They employed 2 barmaids who both smoked. The landlord owned the pub and was willing to make it a private club but was not allowed by the smoking laws.

He was therefore, stopped from smoking in his own establishment and has now left the trade.

Is there any good reason why a limited number of smoking establishments with good air extraction / air con systems, should not be allowed to open

so that the smokers would have somewhere to go, where they would not be causing a nuisance to non-smokers?

These establishments would be regularly inspected by H & S and would only employ smokers to run them / work in them.

This would end the situation where non-smokers in normal pubs, may want to sit outside in summer without the nuisance of cigarette smoke

and a complete smoking ban would operate within a hundred yards either direction of these pubs.

Smokers well know that there is some risk attached to smoking and any staff employed (who would also be smokers) would have to read & sign a document to the effect that:

they had been informed of the possible risks and that, as a smoker already, they worked there of their own accord and at their own risk.

Many people do many different things in life which carry risks - some of them, more so than smoking - for instance, people go mountaineering, motor racing, boxing etc.

Many people such as the obese, those on terrible diets and those who never exercise at all, take great risks with their health as do smokers.

This should set the ball rolling for a sensible debate - not an opportunity for both sides to spout vitriol at each other.

Would this idea work and be an improvement on the present situation and does anyone have further ideas to make it even better?

Are you against it and if so why? - the fact that you simply don't like it through predjudice/bias is not a good reason to be against it.

Lets have some well thought out opinions.

Are you just obscessed by this or are you in the pay of thetobacco industry?

Is there anyone smoking who truly would not want to stop if they could press the magic button and never want a cigarette again? I let my daughter smoke in the house while she is staying and it seriously stinks.

We used to have opium houses! Perhaps the Dutch have the right answer with their coffee shops. Tobacco is way more harmful than cannabis though.

Well since the smoking ban was introduced me and my beagle havent been out much at all. I got him from an animal rescue centre. Gone are the days when we used to frequent our local for his fix so that he didn't pine for the lab. This ban has a lot to answer for. He now costs me a fortune in superkings but I just can't bear to throw him under a passing cyclist going through a red light, or a wheelchair joyrider.

It'll just have to be a trip to the vet for an injection. So that I don't become lonely in my old age I'll go to the animal rescue centre again and get another dog who was rescued from some dreadful fate. Or a cat to prevent it's export to Vietnam to become a tasty treat at a roadside cafe for passing tourists.

Anyhow off to the shop for his last packet of fags.

Are you just obscessed by this or are you in the pay of thetobacco industry?

I'm not at all obsessed - I would just like to see a solution which would put an end to the divisions between smokers & non-smokers.

Do you have an opinion about my idea?

Is there anyone smoking who truly would not want to stop if they could press the magic button and never want a cigarette again? I let my daughter smoke in the house while she is staying and it seriously stinks.

We used to have opium houses! Perhaps the Dutch have the right answer with their coffee shops. Tobacco is way more harmful than cannabis though.

Yes Bloomdido, I am a smoker who doesn't want to stop, with or without a magic button. I'm sure I'm not the only smoker who doesn't want to stop.

I have no other vices and exercise every day, but have enjoyed my fags for many years and hope to go on doing so for as long as possible

Yes Bloomdido, I am a smoker who doesn't want to stop, with or without a magic button. I'm sure I'm not the only smoker who doesn't want to stop.

I have no other vices and exercise every day, but have enjoyed my fags for many years and hope to go on doing so for as long as possible

That's fine. It is your choice to accept smoking for the inconvenience it causes you and the damage it causes to your health.

You choose to smoke so just accept that you are not entitled to force it on others and put up with smoking outside and stop whining on about it.

Archived