Smoking establishments - Debate, not abuse.

I used to smoke and stopped over a year ago. I prefer the none smoking policy as I can Pop to the pub for a couple without coming home smelling like an ashtray. I worked in a pub whilst You could smoke inside and when smoking was banned. When People were smoking inside i came home and could still smell the smoke in my hair and clothes.

That's fine. It is your choice to accept smoking for the inconvenience it causes you and the damage it causes to your health.

You choose to smoke so just accept that you are not entitled to force it on others and put up with smoking outside and stop whining on about it.

This is exactly the kind of post which I wanted to discourage.

The idea was to encourage sensible debate.

I DO choose to smoke and I accept the risks - I DON'T force it on others - I DO smoke outside and I am not whining but encouraging sensible debate.

Do you have an opinion on smoking establishments so that the smokers can be kept away from you?

I'm all for it, even tho i DONT smoke i believe if somebody else does they have a right to, ASLONG as it doesnt infringe others rights not to.

so a place where smokers can sit in and smoke with only other smokers i dont see a problem.

as long as its governed right, clearly labelled as a smokers den of inequity lol and the owners are stringently kept in line over staff they use to work there, ie:- none smokers should not be forced to work there etc

Organgrinder has tried to start a debate about introducing 'smoking allowed' pubs, but it has already been hijacked by people who see this as yet another way to have a dig at smokers. Get over it -we know your opinion on smoking and smokers.

Let's hear your opinions on 'smoking-allowed' pubs

IMO -I think that if smoking allowed pubs were intoduced they would be well patronised.

Smokers would by choice go there and probably their non-smoking friends too.

I have friends who smoke and would go in with them as I like their company more than I hate the smell of fags.(In fact I don't hate the smell of smoke...it doesn't bother me)

However, I think that these pubs would outdo the non-smoking pubs in takings and customers so that a lot of landlords would opt to return to smoking pubs and again we would have the problem of non-smokers having little choice of where to drink.

I think the government were a bit too draconian in stipulating the areas allowed for outdoor smoking with all the rules about it being 75% (or whatever) open.

If it was possible to have a covered, warm outdoor smoking area smokers would not need to congregate in the pub doorway so that they can nip back inside quickly.

The entire argument can be boiled down to the fact that smoking is a dying trend that has been de recognised as normal. Hopefully in 50 years there will be no one doing it. Having smoking establishments is just a backwards step.

I heard somewhere that smoking has actually increased in certain age bands.i.e the young,I may be wrong its just something I caught probably on the radio whilst driving so I may have heard it out of context

I think the government were a bit too draconian in stipulating the areas allowed for outdoor smoking with all the rules about it being 75% (or whatever) open.

If it was possible to have a covered, warm outdoor smoking area smokers would not need to congregate in the pub doorway so that they can nip back inside quickly.

Never been in but that shisha tent, as far as I can see has 3 sides and a roof... at least!

Organgrinder has tried to start a debate about introducing 'smoking allowed' pubs, but it has already been hijacked by people who see this as yet another way to have a dig at smokers. Get over it -we know your opinion on smoking and smokers.

Let's hear your opinions on 'smoking-allowed' pubs

IMO -I think that if smoking allowed pubs were intoduced they would be well patronised.

Smokers would by choice go there and probably their non-smoking friends too.

I have friends who smoke and would go in with them as I like their company more than I hate the smell of fags.(In fact I don't hate the smell of smoke...it doesn't bother me)

However, I think that these pubs would outdo the non-smoking pubs in takings and customers so that a lot of landlords would opt to return to smoking pubs and again we would have the problem of non-smokers having little choice of where to drink.

Glad to see a couple of sensible posts on this subject.

I think you are right about the popularity of smoking pubs (I have emboldened that part above) and I foresaw that eventuality, which is why I said that there would only be allowed a limited number in each area to prevent non-smokers having a lack of choice.

My partner smokes, but he doesn't smoke inside the house because I'm not prepared to share my living space with his smoke.

I don't visit pubs often (only for social visits since I rarely drink) but I would choose not to visit any pub which introduced a smoking area, and that would apply no matter which friend wanted to visit it.

I didn't give up smoking to then be forced to share someone else's smoke. If the law was changed to allow smoking in certain pubs then that would automatically mean that I would not not increase their takings by going there.

I used to smoke and stopped over a year ago. I prefer the none smoking policy as I can Pop to the pub for a couple without coming home smelling like an ashtray. I worked in a pub whilst You could smoke inside and when smoking was banned. When People were smoking inside i came home and could still smell the smoke in my hair and clothes.

Yes, I understand this - having smoking establishments would ensure there are no smokers anywhere near you.

Do you agree with the idea or not?

Archived