Smoking establishments - Debate, not abuse.

Because you don’t like what I said doesn’t mean I said nothing.

smoking as been banned in public places, get over it.

You said nothing originally and have still said nothing.

I repeat that you've only proved that you don't have an argument - YOU JUST DON'T LIKE SMOKING AND SMOKERS.

Believe me, the feelings mutual.

4 - I personally, and I'm sure other smokers will tell you the same, will accept the repercussions of our addiction.

You see you haven't, the ban has been in place for over 2 years. It really is a shame that the be all and end all of a night out in the pub is to be able to smoke indoors.

Does your addiction affect you that much?

Smoking was not allowed in many buildings such a doctors, cinemas, hospitals, airports.....because the owners of the buildings I'm sure felt that it was in the best interests of their users.

Here's a little evidence to show the support. Also considering that lack of placard waving outside Parliament, I suppose that could be an indication. Even the fox hunters managed to do that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6225582.stm

http://www.24dash.com/news/Local_Government/2009-07-28-National-survey-reveals-solid-support-for-UK-public-smoking-ban

As for spoiling the enjoyment of others, you've lost me. The law came in, I (and the vast majority of country) welcomed it. It wasn't personal, pretty much the same as when fox-hunting was banned.

Try a different hobby, sky-diving for instance. Loads of fresh air and to my knowledge it isn't banned in pubs. So a good result all round.

And you try to refrain from telling other people what to do.

You said nothing originally and have still said nothing.

I repeat that you've only proved that you don't have an argument - YOU JUST DON'T LIKE SMOKING AND SMOKERS.

Believe me, the feelings mutual.

Its all been done to death more than once on here so I will just stick with the simple statement.

Smoking is banned in public places, get over it.

There seems to be a lot of virtual high-fiving going on between the clique of smokers on SF.

Just because you don't agree with a comment does not mean that it isn't a constructive, sensible opinion.

The idea of a pub employing only smoking seems a little naive. What about the dray men, police men, fire wardens, maintenance men, licensing authority, delivery men. All who would require access to a pub throughout the year.

There have not been many real comments - most of them have boiled down to "I don't like smoking or smokers".

We are already well aware of that.

The comments that have been constructive (such as your last paragraph - which has already been asked) have been answered, if not by me, then by someone else

Might I add that in the case of maintenance men etc. the premises would have to comply with all existing regulations and, if a smoking establishment were to be sanctioned, then there would be discussions about these matters before a licence was granted.

You know full well that these silly questions were put up simply to muddy the waters as much as possible and prove again, that the anti-smoking brigade are struggling to come up with a good and well reasoned argument.

As for pubs only employing smokers as staff, that is not naive at all - I have drunk at many pubs where that was the norm.

Maybe at this stage it would be better to focus the debate on whether pubs should have seperate specified smoking rooms ?

My personal opinion is that smokers and non-smokers sharing a pub will never work (from the point of view of non-smokers) because odours drift even if the smoke is contained.

Others may think differently and are naturally free to do so - always happy to listen to different opinions.

The idea of my suggestion is to separate smokers and non-smokers completely in different buildings and in their outside grounds.

I am afraid that the attitude of the smoke haters makes no other option available.

My personal opinion is that smokers and non-smokers sharing a pub will never work (from the point of view of non-smokers) because odours drift even if the smoke is contained.

Others may think differently and are naturally free to do so - always happy to listen to different opinions.

The idea of my suggestion is to separate smokers and non-smokers completely in different buildings and in their outside grounds.

I am afraid that the attitude of the smoke haters makes no other option available.

I think one of the problems is that many pubs which were split into several rooms were converted into one big area.

I haven't smoked for 40 years myself but it upsets me to see elderly people having to stand outside in all weathers to have a smoke.

Archived