Sheffield Nightlife - A Town with a City Tag??

CockneyMafia

This thread is not debating whether Sheffield is a town or a city. It is discussing whether or not Sheffield offers the amenities - specifically in the night time economy - that one would reasonably expect from a major city.

Having lived in Sheff the majority of my life (born & bred) except a brief spell living in L**ds last year, I can honestly say we are so far behind (not only in terms of nightlife) but also in terms of daylife!

Sheffield is slowly begining to develop a vibrancy about the City centre, but still lags way behind much smaller cities like Nottingham, Liverpool etc. Both places I have had quite a few nights / day's out.

Someone touched upon the fact that Sheff City centre is considered by many to be just around Fargate. One of the reasons for this is because places like "Wicker" "The Moor" "Castlegate" all within the boundaries of the centre, are so run-down. Therefore potential investors, be it fashionable bars / clubs / hotels / shops have very little choice in Sheff, of places to develop. Therefore turn to places like Nottingham, L**ds, Manchester etc where the whole of the centre's are thriving and attracting custom.

We are slowly starting to see the "Slum" areas of the City centre pushed back, as new developments are planned for "Castlegate" and "The Moor". If you walk around Sheffield City centre you have "West St / Devonshire Qrt" where you can enjoy classy bars / shops / restaurants etc. In other cities you much more variety.

Its a simple matter of economics - for a whole host of historical reasons - there just arent the amount of well paid jobs in Sheffield that there are in Manchester or Leeds. So it follows that there arent the same amount of young(ish) people with loads of spare cash to populate fashionable bars & restaurants - (... though there are obviously lots of cheap all you can eat buffet places.. )

I love Sheffiled as a city and like the fact that its easy going & friendly - again probably down to historical reasons (if you went back 50 years ago - everyone worked in heavy industry and so was pretty much in the same boat) - but its going to take some serious economic changes before it will be anywhere like Manchester or Leeds - but personally I'm happy with it the way it is.

The reason that Sheffield has not got such a good nightlife has nothing to do with the size of the city, its simple really....

SHEFFIELD HAS NO VENUES!!!!!!!!!!

I shout this coz it'z really fustrating.... Sheffield has suffered a shortage of venue for nights to be put on!!!

So many venues want to put their own events on, which has a tendancy for them all to be the same....student nights! I have been organising events in Sheffield for 8 years and at the moment its particularly bad... I am currently looking for a venue for a monthly night and several events but there are very few places, most either because they are having refits or are limited due to licencing laws.

If you have a venue, get in touch...

• 1 month later...

Im a recent convert to the excitement of Sheffield.

I confess - i come from the South but have fallen in love with sheffield.

The night life is fab (and much cheaper than London!)

There are some graeat bars/reataurants including:

Bia Hoi. Mapplin Steeet close to the Economics Dept

Cubana Tapas Bar

Ha Ha Bar and Canteen

and I like the buildings!

Most of all its more elaxed and people are more polite!

sheffs night life is more than enough for me, so what if the town centre is small, that makes is much easyer to ger around after a few!, theres a club 2 suit everyones tastes, how many places do you know that caters for everybody? corparation, niche two totally different places, we have loads of gigging spots from the arena to the grapes, so sheffield nightlife will do 4 me!

Originally posted by nonstopable

The reason that Sheffield has not got such a good nightlife has nothing to do with the size of the city, its simple really....

SHEFFIELD HAS NO VENUES!!!!!!!!!!.

Probably the single truest statement on this thread so far.....

Sheffield is DIRE for venues.....there is simply not enough space in the very restrictive and SMALL city/town centre.......always been the same......

But I have to agree with the majority opinion on this thread, Sheffield City/town centre IS very small compared to most others.....and actually offers very little compared to the cities mentioned earlier on this thread. I cant see the situation improving as long as clubs and bars cater solely for the 18-25 yr old chav squad and student market........

Club Managers got greedy around the late 80s onwards. because before then nightclubs in Sheffield did not PANDER to students like they do now....prior to around 1985/6 you would be hard pressed to find ANY nightclub actually running a dedicated STUDENT night of any description at all outrside of the two student Unions....The increase in student numbers has led to a proliferation of bland and meaningless 'student' nights, at the expense of anything else worthwhile.........

Its easy to do. Think like a Club/Bar owner for a second.......er....CASH CASH CASH MONEY MONEY MONEY.....FORGET quality, FORGET style...FORGET everything except raking in the notes........thats what its all about in Sheffield. Making a fast buck and getting out....

Archived