Bank lost our rent!

We paid our rent on the 22nd by online bank transfer. We've paid this way before no probs, same method, same account, everything.

The landlady's partner texted us last night to say they've not received it! We triple checked we used the right bank details then rang our bank but they have no idea what happened, which isn't actually helpful, and are investigating, which could take a week while our rent is delayed.

We're renting from a very nice couple who've been very understanding and accomodating and I totally trust them but they're obviously panicking too because they have other expenses coming out and the rent hasn't come in. They're talking to their bank today but basically somewhere along the line our money has gone missing. I don't know if we'll get the money back and it's basically everything we had!

Has anyone else been in this situation before? Any advice?

you should be fine, do you have a record of you doing the transaction?

if you have a record of it, then the bank will sort it. if this was done via phishing scam (you did type the webaddress? not clicked a link from an email etc) then they will have to investigate.

This happened to me once, I transferred the money using an online bank transfer, and it never appeared at the other end.

I sent the bank an email, and it miraculously 'appeared' in the recipients bank.

The bank will have records of all transactions.

you should be fine, do you have a record of you doing the transaction?

if you have a record of it, then the bank will sort it. if this was done via phishing scam (you did type the webaddress? not clicked a link from an email etc) then they will have to investigate.

No scam, the bank has a record of it and no idea why it's not gone through, they're going to look into it.

Banks operate slush accounts that collect payments that arrive but have no account to go too. I assume the bank in questions website had an issue and some information was not passed to the recipient bank.

You will get your money back, then you will need to pay your landlord again.

Call your bank and tell them its lost and you want it back now as otherwise they are putting you in financial hardship. Banks are required to act immediately if someone is in hardship, which this list rent could cause you.

Good luck and don't take any fobbing off from the bank. They like to leave things for as long as possible so they do less work.

Archived