Wiper Blades not working

My Wiper bades stopped working last night - they moved once but then got stuck. Yes I know, I'm an idiot -snow. I competely cleared the screen but still nothing.

Now they are stuck in the upright position. have left it a while - 20 mins but still nothing happening. Back wiper not working either. I would like to try to see if it's the fuse first rather than take it straight to a garage. It's a ford fiesta w reg 2000.

So my questions are:

would my DB Green flag homestart policy cover this being checked and fixed?

what garages close to S26 are open today?

I normally use a garage close to work but they are closed sundays and would like to try and get it fixed today.

Many thanks for helpful advice.

Fatal mistake in frosty/snowy weather is just switching the wipers on. You either need to clear the screen with a scaper (one in good condition with no dinks out of blade) or de-icer (but bear in mind de-icer is not great for the bodywork). If it's too cold for you switch the engine on & let the warm engine / hot air blower defrost the screen. Remember the slightest bit of ice on the screen will rip your wiper blades to bit, causing streaking on the screen, poor vision & a mot failure. (plus £10+ for new blades).

Could be the fuse in your case & that's where i'd start. Remember the above in future though as trying to save a few seconds can cause hours of hassle to sort out later.

Have a look in the handbook that comes with the car & see if any other circuits are powered by the same fuse such as the horn or hazards or anything. If another circuit is powered off the same fuse, see if that item is working. If that doesn't work along with the wiper you can safely say it's the fuse that has blown.

Best of luck.

If both have suddenly stopped it's almost certainly the fuse - possibly due to excessive load on the motor if you tried to use the wipers to clear snow. The front and rear wipers have different motors and different mechanisms - but will probably share a fuse - hence if neither works it's almost certainly that.

Shouldn't need a garage at all, touch wood. Don't know of any open if you do though - sorry.

Archived