Wanted: Swearing Down Lessons.

For someone who is willing and able to make the bible mean almost literally anything via the medium of greek and hebrew, I'm surprised that you appear here to be taking something at face value in an english translation.

Are you sure it means 'swear' as in 'effing and jeffing' and not 'swear' as in oath? The latter definition certainly makes more sense.

What the Bible was admonishing against, was those who proclaimed "Thus saith the LORD" when the LORD most definitely didn't "saith".

my god Jabbers, have you been living under a rock? i'm 28 and we used to say it back in junior school... :/
I must have been under the same rock ... this is the first I've heard of it.

I was going to say that you probably won't hear it from anyone over 20, and those moving in a certain milieu, but I'll revise upwards to 30 now :D

I have returned from my shopping trip and despite having a change of plan as to the venue, I still have some interesting findings to report. Instead of Meadowhall we first visited Makro and Morrisons on the Parkway. Despite keeping a sharp ear out I didn't hear the phrase used in either place. I attempted to use it as many times as possible in as many conversations as possible with both staff and customers in both places and,despite some of these attempts being rather tenuous, it didn't to phase anyone. Our next stop was Granellis sweet shop (for coconut mushrooms and sports mixtures) and the lady behind the bandit screen remained stoic as I declared"I Swear down,one is spoilt for choice in here,I swear down" Our final destination was Sainsbury at Millhouses where needless to say,I didn't hear it said and I'm affraid I chickened out of using it for fear of being shown the door. An inconclusive mornings research I'm affraid.

Archived