Who'd be a role model?

danot

Given the sudden spate of scandalous news stories that the media have brought to our attention over the last year concerning the private and personal affairs of a string of celebrity sports stars such as- Tiger Woods, John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Ricky Hatton, to name a few. What is your view on the "ROLE MODEL" label, which is so often pinned unwittingly on to these people in a sort of 'build them up to knock them down fashion'?

Is it anyone's concern what these people get up to in their personal life?, need it concern anyone that Tiger has infidelity issues?.. other than his wife and family of course.

Is anyone actually interested in Rooney's sexual preferences or Terry's Jack the lad antics?. Does anyone actually feel let down by Hatton's drug snorting scandal? I personally don't.

I personally consider it none of my business what these people get up to in their private lives.. why should it be? And yes I am fully aware that there are impressionable youngsters that model themselves and look up to these stars, but If the media didn't pry into these peoples personal and private affairs to begin with, there wouldn't be any cause to be concerned over what effect the actions of these stars is having on our impressionable youngsters would there... or would there?

So my question is- Are the media justified in exposing these so called "ROLE MODELS", or is everyone entitled to a private life? I personally agree with the latter.

The problem is the public who show attention to the so called role models.

How ever can Wayne Rooney be a role model.??

People who have made sacrifices are role models.

I certainly wouldn't buy a newspaper or a magazine if his face was on the front page.

The problem is the public who show attention to the so called role models.

How ever can Wayne Rooney be a role model.??

People who have made sacrifices are role models.

I certainly wouldn't buy a newspaper or a magazine if his face was on the front page.

Im sure he for one would agree with you, yet it would appear his peers think differently.

The problem is that people often think that just because he can play football( debatable) and that he is stinking rich that he should be on a pedestal.

People who put celebrities on a pedestal are misguided.

If you can make a difference to someones lives then that is different.There are some celebrities who do just that.

There are , however extraordinary people who are not celebrities who do extraordinary things each day and get no reward for that. Those are the pople who should be role models.

The problem is that people often think that just because he can play football( debatable) and that he is stinking rich that he should be on a pedestal.

People who put celebrities on a pedestal are misguided.

If you can make a difference to someones lives then that is different.There are some celebrities who do just that.

There are , however extraordinary people who are not celebrities who do extraordinary things each day and get no reward for that. Those are the pople who should be role models.

The pope is the head of the catholic church though. Great responsibility goes with that role whether he was reluctant in inviting it or not.

Whereas Rooney is simply a man in the public eye who is having is privacy violated by unscrupulous reporters wanting to cash in on other peoples misfortune.

There's a vast difference between their life choices and their treatment at the hands of the media.

The pope is the head of the catholic church though. Great responsibility goes with that role whether he was reluctant in inviting it or not.

Whereas Rooney is simply a man in the public eye who is having is privacy violated by unscrupulous reporters wanting to cash in on other peoples misfortune.

There's a vast difference between their life choices and their treatment at the hands of the media.

I would hardly say that he has misfortune.

These kinds of people want the publicity when its suits them. His wife has certainly made a living out of it.

Cant have their cake and eat it so to speak.

As I said the media would be in a frenzy to invade peoples privacy if people were not interested in the celebrities.

The only solution is to stop buying those kinds of newspapers and circulation will plummet.

I would hardly say that he has misfortune.

These kinds of people want the publicity when its suits them. His wife has certainly made a living out of it.

Cant have their cake and eat it so to speak.

His wife(Coleen Rooney) has to rely on publicity in order to promote her image.. and her products. But why should their private affairs have to be publicised in the process? It's no one's concern but theirs.

Originally posted by espadrille

As I said the media would be in a frenzy to invade peoples privacy if people were not interested in the celebrities.

The only solution is to stop buying those kinds of newspapers and circulation will plummet.

Scandal sells, always as, always will. Times change but people don't.

Archived