Who'd be a role model?

danot

I would say that Bobby Charlton, Allan Shearer and Henry Cooper are good role models

did you ever see alan shearer play he used to curse and swear at referees and linesmen i don't call that being a role model and the one i believe is the worst is david beckham he cheats and argues with referees and is always looking for publicity i certainly wouldn't like him to be my son

Given the sudden spate of scandalous news stories that the media have brought to our attention over the last year concerning the private and personal affairs of a string of celebrity sports stars such as- Tiger Woods, John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Ricky Hatton, to name a few. What is your view on the "ROLE MODEL" label, which is so often pinned unwittingly on to these people in a sort of 'build them up to knock them down fashion'?

Is it anyone's concern what these people get up to in their personal life?, need it concern anyone that Tiger has infidelity issues?.. other than his wife and family of course.

Is anyone actually interested in Rooney's sexual preferences or Terry's Jack the lad antics?. Does anyone actually feel let down by Hatton's drug snorting scandal? I personally don't.

I personally consider it none of my business what these people get up to in their private lives.. why should it be? And yes I am fully aware that there are impressionable youngsters that model themselves and look up to these stars, but If the media didn't pry into these peoples personal and private affairs to begin with, there wouldn't be any cause to be concerned over what effect the actions of these stars is having on our impressionable youngsters would there... or would there?

So my question is- Are the media justified in exposing these so called "ROLE MODELS", or is everyone entitled to a private life? I personally agree with the latter.

Call them 'role models' if you like as your thread title implies, many people do and it just goes to show their ignorance and shallow mindedness.

The only reason people hear about their exploits is by buying the gutter press which is too stupid to be able to write of anything of interest and just aims at lowlife.

Why are you writing about them anyway? :huh:

Call them 'role models' if you like as your thread title implies, many people do and it just goes to show their ignorance and shallow mindedness.

The only reason people hear about their exploits is by buying the gutter press which is too stupid to be able to write of anything of interest and just aims at lowlife.

Why are you writing this anyway? :huh:

Probably for the same reason you're responding to it.. because I had nothing better to do.

I admire the work and actions of others but I wouldn't say role models, i'm in no way a fan (fanatical) of anything.

However, when I speak to parents and they say their child's role model is so and so, it's because they've asked "who do you want to be like when you grow up?".

Given the sudden spate of scandalous news stories that the media have brought to our attention over the last year concerning the private and personal affairs of a string of celebrity sports stars such as- Tiger Woods, John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Ricky Hatton, to name a few. What is your view on the "ROLE MODEL" label, which is so often pinned unwittingly on to these people in a sort of 'build them up to knock them down fashion'?

Is it anyone's concern what these people get up to in their personal life?, need it concern anyone that Tiger has infidelity issues?.. other than his wife and family of course.

Is anyone actually interested in Rooney's sexual preferences or Terry's Jack the lad antics?. Does anyone actually feel let down by Hatton's drug snorting scandal? I personally don't.

I personally consider it none of my business what these people get up to in their private lives.. why should it be? And yes I am fully aware that there are impressionable youngsters that model themselves and look up to these stars, but If the media didn't pry into these peoples personal and private affairs to begin with, there wouldn't be any cause to be concerned over what effect the actions of these stars is having on our impressionable youngsters would there... or would there?

So my question is- Are the media justified in exposing these so called "ROLE MODELS", or is everyone entitled to a private life? I personally agree with the latter.

The price of fame is intrusion of privacy. It's par for the course.

They are going to attract welcome or unwelcome publicity whether they like it or not.

It always amuses me that people sell their souls and bodies to make a name for themselves in show biz but when the press start hounding them they all start screaming to be left alone.

There's a price to pay for everything

The price of fame is intrusion of privacy. It's par for the course.
That's the way it is, but it shouldn't be. No one should have to have their private life violated. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

Originally posted by Harleyman

They are going to attract welcome or unwelcome publicity whether they like it or not.

It always amuses me that people sell their souls and bodies to make a name for themselves in show biz but when the press start hounding them they all start screaming to be left alone.

There's a price to pay for everything

But their private life is private. It has nothing at all to do with Joe public, or the professional career of the star in question. It is a violation of a persons personal and private affairs. Their fortune and fame doesn't alter that.

Archived