I am cold, what about the elderly?

Im very cold even indoors, for the first time of living in this house..(13) yrs i was cold in bed even with an expensive duvet on.

Im in my early 60's, i feel very sorry for the folks older than me, people in their 80's and older..:( its treacherous underfoot so they cant have their trips to the shops and have a little natter to neighbours on the way.

Would i be asking too much for you kind folks on SF to keep an eye on your elderly neighbours.ie bit of shopping, a natter, making a cup of tea...

Im partially disabled due to Arthritis, or i would do it..:(

No it's not asking to much but unfortunately it happens few and far between. I went and bought several bags of grit sand some weeks ago, foresight is a wonderful thing.Over the weekend i have spread the grit sand around my elderly neighbour's property both sides, my wife and i had done the shopping for them during the week i know they are warm have plenty of food and basically want for nothing other than their own work shy parasitic family who do sod all for them (no-doubt when the time comes they will be in the Que with all the other vultures wanting the pickings.

I don't say this for a pat on the head, i don't want any thanks it's down to values instilled into me by my own parents who lived in an age where everyone looked out for each other sadly no-more.

Im very cold even indoors, for the first time of living in this house..(13) yrs i was cold in bed even with an expensive duvet on.

Im in my early 60's, i feel very sorry for the folks older than me, people in their 80's and older..:( its treacherous underfoot so they cant have their trips to the shops and have a little natter to neighbours on the way.

Would i be asking too much for you kind folks on SF to keep an eye on your elderly neighbours.ie bit of shopping, a natter, making a cup of tea...

Im partially disabled due to Arthritis, or i would do it..:(

Dan ,don't you have any heat in your house :confused:

Dan ,don't you have any heat in your house :confused:

Some of the older or infirm can still feel the cold due to poor blood circulation etc.

I agree with the op though...doesn't take much to look in or offer to do a little shopping, even if you get the odd senile 'bugger off ya nosey parker':rant:

No it's not asking to much but unfortunately it happens few and far between. I went and bought several bags of grit sand some weeks ago, foresight is a wonderful thing.Over the weekend i have spread the grit sand around my elderly neighbour's property both sides, my wife and i had done the shopping for them during the week i know they are warm have plenty of food and basically want for nothing other than their own work shy parasitic family who do sod all for them (no-doubt when the time comes they will be in the Que with all the other vultures wanting the pickings.

I don't say this for a pat on the head, i don't want any thanks it's down to values instilled into me by my own parents who lived in an age where everyone looked out for each other sadly no-more.

Gobby I think there's a lot of people like you around (thank goodness), trouble is knowing what people are in need, they don't like to ask anyone as it looks bad for their own family that don't lift a finger to hekp.

Our next door neighbour came round yesterday to ask us if we could check his heating - he'd turned down the thermostat really low so it wasn't coming on.

I've been trying to avoid using heating because it costs! but relented the other day when I went into the kitchen in the morning and it was 3 degrees indoors. Heating is now on a timer for 5 hours each day.

It certainly isn't too much to ask people to look out for their elderly neighbours this weather.

I do remember earlier on this year (February time) when it really snowed, OH and I called on our elderly neighbour (80+) to check he was okay and ask if he needed anything as we were going shopping. He thanked us for the concern but had indeed been out himself earlier that morning and was back home, and it was only about 10.30 when we called on him!

The clever bods from the gas board have decided to start up to 6 weeks of the gas going on and off on ironside road area of gleadless as they put new pipes etc in. Clever that, waiting until winter to do quite major works.

Possibly it's an urgent job that's sprung up ... otherwise I tend to agree with you that it's fairly dumb.

Archived