Should parents correct kids that thee 'n' thou?

danot

The problem is that often they can't. So, they end in dead end jobs, or no job. Or they become poets, like Ian MacMillian.
So anyone that doesn't speak elegantly is destined to find themselves in a dead end job or no job at all are they? You can't be being serious.

So anyone that doesn't speak elegantly is destined to find themselves in a dead end job or no job at all are they? You can't be being serious.

I haven't got any facts to prove it (they probably don't exist), but I'd guess that you are more likely to end up in a lower paid job if you have a strong Yorkshire dialect.

I haven't got any facts to prove it (they probably don't exist), but I'd guess that you are more likely to end up in a lower paid job if you have a strong Yorkshire dialect.
Why? Are you talking about class? or are you talking about dialect?

Being born and bred in the north side of sheffield, I find myself thee and thouing quite often in conversation; especially when Im involved in light hearted banter with others with a strong yorkshire dialect , that's when it really comes out.

But in general, should kids that do likewise;regardless of which side of the city they're from, be corrected by their parents, or even by their school teachers for that matter?

Or should Sheffielders once again embrace the dialect or even encourage their kids to thee 'n thou.. just like it used to be in towd days?

It's there accent so erm NO !!! :gag:

Is that a no to "should they correct?" A no to "should they embrace?" Or a no to both?

It's a BIG NO to correcting a kid's accent, however much someone tries to learn there child the speak.

Let them be natural and choose themselves instead of making them like robots.

Also School makes a big difference to how a kid speaks.

Archived